B&S engine (Craftsman mower) - several pulls to start

shobuddy

Threads
  • / B&S engine (Craftsman mower) - several pulls to start
My father gave me a Craftsman 917.376480 lawn mower last year. It has a 675 series Briggs & Stratton engine and pull cord assembly was broken. I had the assembly fixed by a local repair shop and the mower works fine but it takes several pulls to start up. It also has an electric start but while turning the electric start key will turn the engine, it never actually starts the engine. My father said prior to the cord assembly breaking, the electric start worked fine and it would start in one or two pulls. I'm not very well versed in mechanical issues so any ideas on how to troubleshoot the issue would be great.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it set for any length of time not running, could be a carb issue. May need to remove the carb and give it a good cleaning and see what happens.

TonyPrin

Threads
If this is the start of the season for you, I'm make certain all the maintenance is done: oil change, spark plug cleaned or replaced and gapped properly. If you kept gas in the tank for any lengthy period of time, that could be your problem, as well. Make sure the gas is fresh.

Back to oil, I believe your engine can use synthetic oil (not a blend) and I'd go with that - synthetic 5W-30, conventional 10W-30.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tony the 5W30 briggs oil is a synthetic blend. So you can use blended oil

TonyPrin

Threads
Tony the 5W30 briggs oil is a synthetic blend. So you can use blended oil

Thanks for the follow-up. Clearly if synthetic and conventional oil can be used a blend would be OK, too. My comment is really a reflection of my view that a synthetic blend of 5W-30 doesn't provide the viscosity needed. For example, the B&S FAQs on mowers states:

Small Engine Oil Type Recommendations:
Use SAE 30 in warmer temperatures of 40° F and higher (5° C and higher)
Use SAE 10W-30 for a varying temperature range of 0 to 100° F (-18 to 38° C), this grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80° F(27° C) or higher
A synthetic oil SAE 5W-30 is the best for very cold temperatures of -20 to as high as 120° F (-30 to 40° C) providing the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption
Use SAE 5W-30 for very cold temperatures of 40° F and below
(5° C and below)
For continuous-use, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing, use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (temperatures from 20°F to 130°F)

I added the underline. My point being a synthetic blend is a combination of synthetic and conventional in unknown proportions, as least to me. Thus, a 5W-30 blend may not give you the starting viscosity needed to turnover easily.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tony I know it is confusing. Briggs says not to use a 5w30 dino oil below 40 degrees but a synthetic 5w30 is OK from -20 to 120 degrees. The thing is Briggs and Stratton's own synthetic 5w30 is actually a blend oil. The new 15w50 for the Vanguards is full synthetic.

Some of the so called synthetic oil are actually a dino oil with a synthetic additive package. I can confirm the Briggs 5w30 is a low enough viscosity for cold weather starting because I use it here at the shop in my own stuff, and customers items. We also use the Briggs 5w30 oil in my nephews stump grinder with the Vanguard 35 hp. Have run from about 25 degrees to around 100.

shobuddy

Threads
Thanks for all the input. The issue ended up being a dirty air filter. I checked the filter and it was pretty filthy so I tried starting the mower w/out the filter on and it started on two pulls so I picked up this air filter: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Briggs-and-Stratton-Engine-Air-Filter/16778638 and put it on. The mower started on a single pull! Now I'll charge the battery and see if it electric start works. Thanks again.