D140 Carburetor help

jj2d

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a D140, and it is not starting and stay running. It sat for over a year and I assume the gas gunked up all inside. I have changed the fuel filter and spark plugs, and now my next attempt to get this running is to clean carburetor, however I can not find anything online to help me get this sucker off, and instructions to clean.

Any help here is greatly appreciated!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before doing anything locate the choke and throttle cable connections. Clean them of oil and debris and mark them with 2 different colors of paint across the cable end and the piece they connect to, then take a good picture of those termination points. During re-assembly you'll appreciate what you took a couple of minutes to do. Next, check the backfire solenoid by touching it and listening when the ignition switch is turned to the ON / OFF positions. If it is audible do not attempt to remove it from the carburetor bowl.

Now it's time to remove the intake manifold and the carburetor will come off with it. Re-assembly won't require new manifold gaskets.

Last edited:

jj2d

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you know anywhere online to view a diagram?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is the best I've found on line and really isn't of much value. It seems as if JD and Briggs has a conspiracy that seems to be working well for them.
https://www.google.com/search?q=la-140+carburetor+diagram&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

While the carb is apart I recommend replacing the plastic needle valve with a brass valve. The plastic on mine was a nightmare and notorious for sticking closed. It seems to be a toss up as others are free of those symptoms.

Attachments

• needle amazon 2017.JPG
    needle amazon 2017.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 7
  • needle valve briggs 2017.JPG
    needle valve briggs 2017.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 9

jj2d

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is the best I've found on line and really isn't of much value. It seems as if JD and Briggs has a conspiracy that seems to be working well for them.
https://www.google.com/search?q=la-140+carburetor+diagram&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

While the carb is apart I recommend replacing the plastic needle valve with a brass valve. The plastic on mine was a nightmare and notorious for sticking closed. It seems to be a toss up as others are free of those symptoms.

I am having trouble finding out how to get the Carb off.

I have put on new fuel filter, need to take off fuel lines to carb, and from filter to check for flow, etc.
I have put new spark plugs in, oil change, etc....

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
By removing enough screws, spring clamps etc. the carburetor will eventually fall off.