1975 JD 400 Briggs repower grounding issue

redryer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1975 JD 400 with a briggs 23 hp. The wiring harness with the diodes for the coils attaches to the side of engine and they end there. There is a tab that can be plugged into but there's nothing there and I'm guessing that is the ground. My problem is that when I shut off the ignition switch the engine continues to run 5-10 seconds then shuts off. If I ground out that tab with a wire to the frame when I turn ignition switch off then it powers down beautifully. IF that is my problem then can I wire that tab back to the ignition switch? My ignition switch has the 5 pin with letters B,S,I,R,A. I'm a novice mechanic but I have no electrical skill what-so-ever and our local shops start out by charging 35ph. I'm at a loss here and I'm hoping you can help, I appreciate it!

redryer

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMG_0962.jpg

Here is a picture of the tab

redryer

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I bought a toggle switch and I'm going to run a wire from toggle switch to the tab and another wire from toggle switch back to engine to ground it out.
Would that work?

NorthBama

Threads
I think you need to get correct switch and ground the wire from the ignition coils when the switch is turned off

Last edited:

Jack17

Threads
So, I bought a toggle switch and I'm going to run a wire from toggle switch to the tab and another wire from toggle switch back to engine to ground it out.
Would that work?
Sure it'll work but why doing something that not necessary. Post the model number of your tractor so I can look up wiring diagram, Kill relay is already somewhere in there it just waits for you to run that wire from the tab on the engine to it.

redryer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for reply- I'm not home right now but I believe the model number is in the 30000 range. I think the wiring diagram is the same up to 70000 but I honeslty can't read schematics very well. The person who wired up this machine some a butch job and have the "I" running the rectifier and the "R" running up to the fuel shut off solenoid. I think that should be reversed and/or the two ran together. I'd add photos but I'm not sure how to load them on my phone. I would really like to just integrate this the grounding into my wiring but I need a little technical help.

redryer

Forum Newbie
Threads
32632- I found a photo I took of the model.

redryer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you need to get correct switch and ground the wire from the ignition coils when the switch is turned off

From what I found browsing the internet I believe it is the original ignition. However, I think the person who repowered the JD didn't correctly hook up wiring

Jack17

Threads
32632- I found a photo I took of the model.

Serial number says produced right around the end of 1975 but based just on that I can't cross reference an exact diagram for it. I need a model number. Kohler KQ532 was the original engine.

redryer

Forum Newbie
Threads
C400D 032632 M
That's what the serial plate says.
The original engine is long gone :(
It has a Briggs 23 vanguard 386447 0201-G1 10102111 <--- those are the numbers on valve cover