New 40 volt lithium-ion battery self-propelled lawn mower from Greenworks

MowerMike

Threads
  • / New 40 volt lithium-ion battery self-propelled lawn mower from Greenworks
I just saw an interesting listing on Amazon for a Greenworks 21" self-propelled cordless electric lawn mower, powered by their 40 volt G-MAX lithium-ion batteries. It has two battery ports with auto-switching similar to their Twin-Force model, so it should have at least a one hour run time with two 4Ah batteries. It is similar to their 80 volt self-propelled model with a 3 in 1 steel deck and a brushless motor, seven height adjustments from 1-3/8" to 3-3/4", 8" front wheels and 10" rear wheels, and a 20" long blade. The price shown is $299 without batteries or charger (bare tool), and it is not currently available, but Amazon is accepting orders.

https://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-M...1&ref_=ox_sc_saved_image_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edit: They've changed the listing status from <Temporarily out of stock> to <Currently unavailable>, so it can no longer be ordered at this time and it may never be available. So at this time the only self-propelled walk behind mowers that use lithium-ion batteries are the 80 volt Greenworks and 56 volt EGO.

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
Well, it looks like I missed another self-propelled lithium-ion lawn mower. It's the Troy-Bilt TB610 40 volt 21" deck with front wheel drive that is sold through Lowe's for $599. It comes with two 40 volt Core batteries and weighs a hefty 87 pounds.

TonyLawnMan

Threads
Thanks for the link to the Greenworks 40 volt self propelled. It is exactly what I have been looking to find. Hoping for availability before next season.

There is also the Ryobi 40 volt self propelled with brushless motor.

MowerMike

Threads

TonyLawnMan

Threads
I really like the looks of that one, and I also like the idea of adding more 40v greenworks batteries to my collection. However, I just couldn't resist picking up a self propelled Ego mower for $300 with the quick charger and 7.5 amp hour battery. Compared to my greenworks 25223 19" 40v mower or my Snapper rider, the Ego looked like it gave the lawn a rather rough cut the first time out. I have since purchased a set of replacement blades (one regular and one high lift bagging blade) to replace the blade which looks like the original owner might have tried mowing some rocks with it.
I might have been a bit inefficient using the self propel feature a lot the first time out and the blade might have given the mower more work, but the mower performed well and the battery at least got the front yard cut (a little over 1/4 acre).
I really got it so that this fall I can see first hand how it does at picking up leaves while mowing. I know that my Snapper will not last forever and neither will the shed in which it is stored. I am hoping to find that I can get by with equipment that I can store in my basement and not replace the gas mower or shed, and I really enjoy the quiet mowing with the same batteries from my string trimmer and chainsaw.

MowerMike

Threads
Well, it appears that the Greenworks 80 volt self-propelled mower has been discontinued, and has now been reintroduced as a Kobalt model at Lowe’s. It sells for $599 with two 2 Ah batteries, and the model number is KMP 2080A-06.

cashman

Threads
I was wondering since you guys have some experience using battery powered mowers. When the battery starts running down, does mower start slowing down as the voltage drops? Or does it remain at a constant speed until a certain voltage level is reached and then shuts off? And about how long does it take to recharge the battery? Thanks!!!

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
unlike some older equipment I own with NiCd batteries, the lithium-based battery stuff I have stops in a second or 2. Not quite like a switch, but very fast.

battery re-charge rates are extremely variable by make/model.

MowerMike

Threads
Stop the presses ! So now there’s a self-propelled version of the Greenworks 60 volt lawn mower, that is being sold at Lowe’s for $499 with a 5 Ah battery and charger.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-Pro-GW-60V-21-in-Self-Proplled-Mower-with-5AH-Battery/1000332225

The only complaint I have is that they promise only up to 30 minutes run time per battery charge. I have the push version of this mower, and it can run up to 60 minutes on a 4 Ah battery, so it sounds like the self-propel system uses a lot of power.

TonyLawnMan

Threads
Amazon had a few of the 40volt self propelled Greenworks mowers for sale today at $99.99
It must be a last of the line clearance or a pricing error.
I got one on order before it switched back to No Longer Available.
I won't have a review for a few months.