New 40 volt lithium-ion battery self-propelled lawn mower from Greenworks

MowerMike

Threads
  • / New 40 volt lithium-ion battery self-propelled lawn mower from Greenworks
They are used returns. Probably functional, but banged up. I doubt Amazon tests them prior to shipment, and I would not want something that may have been abused by its prior owner.

Also, I have to wonder why Amazon has so many returns, while there are no new ones for sale. There are many complaints of it being extremely difficult to remove the battery, and unlike the Twin Force, it only has one live battery port.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
thanx Mike

TonyLawnMan

Threads
Got my first chance to test out the MO40L02 (Greenworks 40volt self-propelled) and MowerMike was certainly on to something about difficulty in removing the battery. Cannot be wearing gloves and must be rather precise in grabbing the battery at the push tab and the opposing side quite firmly and pulling hard. I tried to grab the battery from the sides and just push the tab with one finger, but there was no room to get a decent grip. Not a deal breaker for me, but it was an unpleasant surprise to find it to be a challenge.
Overall though, with 2 4amp batteries on board (320 watt hour total), I got more run-time than my Ego self-propelled mower (420 watt hour battery) and a better quality of cut. So, I sold the Ego mower to a gentleman with a much smaller lawn and recouped almost the entire cost.
I still cannot believe that the brushless motor is really that much of an improvement in efficiency and really need to wait for the lawn to get growing in order to see if that changes the run-time by a significant amount.

Bogart

Threads
I have just bought the Greenworks 40v one here in the UK with 2 2Ah batteries only has a 41cm. I find is pathetic barely cuts anything, nothing if it damp.Is going to get returned. My dealer is going to bring round a Stihl battery mower for me to try.
If I do not like that it is back to looking for a small petrol one to replace my ageing Honda Izy.

TonyLawnMan

Threads
Here are some pics of being unable to grab the battery from its sides. I have to put my thumb on the lower side and use three fingers on the top side (middle one to operate the release tab). It takes quite a grip to lift the battery, or I place a strap around the battery (not blocking the vents) to make for an easy lift. Still losing a few points to the Ego brand in this regard.

Attachments

• 20180505_080227.jpg
    20180505_080227.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180505_080256.jpg
    20180505_080256.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180505_080355.jpg
    20180505_080355.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 11

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Here are some pics of being unable to grab the battery from its sides. I have to put my thumb on the lower side and use three fingers on the top side (middle one to operate the release tab). It takes quite a grip to lift the battery, or I place a strap around the battery (not blocking the vents) to make for an easy lift. Still losing a few points to the Ego brand in this regard.

Life seems to be full of products that make you ask; "did anyone try to USE this before they sold it?"

dougmacm

Threads
I purchased the "tool only" non-SP version of this mower (MO40L01) direct from Greenworks during their 4th of July sale and got it for $199.99 delivered. MSRP is $249.99 so I thought that was a great deal. Already had 2 4Ah batteries and 2 chargers that came with the 16" Chainsaw and 20" Snow Thrower so I figured I was set there. Goal was to spend under $200.00, so I did just that !!

Was looking at the 19 & 20" versions as well on various sites and found a few under $200, but glad I went with the 21" … especially after receiving and seeing that it actually has a 20" wide blade. Seems that all these cordless mowers are this way in that they call out the deck width instead of the cut / blade width.

MSRP of the 19" on GW's site is $279.99 and the 20" is 269.99 … why would you pay more for less cut ??

Anyway, I absolutely love this mower for the very small yard at my wife's office (takes less than 15 minutes) that I purchased it for. Also tested it out at home on our 15,000 square ft. yard that typically takes an hour to cut and I was still impressed that I only went through 1.5 of the 4Ah batteries to cut the whole thing. It gives a nice cut, but I really prefer Self Propelled for this yard, so it will not be replacing either of my S-P Lawn-Boys (10525 & 10323) any time soon.

The 1st time I cut the office lawn, it only used 1 bar of the 4Ah battery. When I cut it the 2nd time I used a 2.5Ah battery and again only used 1 bar. Swapped battery into the 2100202 string trimmer and used another bar (1/2 to 3/4 hr of work total both cutting & trimming).
Then brought battery home with a half a charge left and did a 1/3 to 1/2 my blowing at home with the 24322 blower/vac (15-20 minutes or so on max LOW speed) before it ran out of juice ... not too bad for the "small" battery !! Finished up my blowing with a 4Ah battery, this time on max HIGH speed and had 1/2 of the battery left.

Love these tools so far !!

Doug

dougmacm

Threads
Now a few questions for you MO40L02 (SELF PROPELLED version) OWNERS out there …

Now that you've had it a while, how do you like it ??

How long does the battery actually last ??

Greenworks does not have the MANUAL available on the web site nor does anyone else so I'm curious as to how FAST the SP speed is … is the speed range stated in the manual like it is for these other GW built versions I could find manuals for ??

0.7-1.2 meters per sec = 1.56 to 2.68 MPH (GW MO80L00 80V 21" Deck)

0.5-1.7 meters per sec = 1.09 to 3.80 MPH (GW MO60L01 60V 21" Deck)

0.5-1.5 meters per sec = 1.09 to 3.34 MPH (Kobalt 40V 20" Deck)

You would think it is a typo with the fastest mower here being the 60V, then the 40V, then the 80V the slowest.

I'd really think you would want to go with 60 or 80V with an SP version, but hey that is why I'm asking.

Me adopting a 2nd battery platform is highly unlikely … 3rd really if you count Ryobi 18V. But if I could be happy with the performance (and speed) of the 40V it would be awfully tempting to pick one of these up to use at home for those times I don't want to smell like two-stroke or just want a nice and quieter walk in the yard.

Doug

dougmacm

Threads
doug, try asking for a pdf link to a manual here;
info@greenworkstools.com

I did that on their site in the FAQ section for the mower … I'll let you all know what I find out. If I get no response, I'll e-mail them … they were quick to reply (on the 4th of July even) when I contacted them with a problem with the Snowthower that was shipped to me.

Doug