Seat Switch Maybe

designwebs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman rider I paid about $1000.00 new. I have had it about 4 or 5 years and it has served me well. Last season on the last mow of the year I parked it to clean the grass off her and put her away for the winter.

When I tried to start it nothing. No clicking sounds nothing. I'm thinking maybe the seat switch is broke. My question is, is there a way I can test this to see if this is the switch before I go and buy one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Yes it can be tested. You can unplug the switch under the seat. Use a paper clip and jump the plug. Make sure its not touching the frame. Now you can press the clutch/brake and see if it dose anything. After setting the winter battery is likely dead.

designwebs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it can be tested. You can unplug the switch under the seat. Use a paper clip and jump the plug. Make sure its not touching the frame. Now you can press the clutch/brake and see if it dose anything. After setting the winter battery is likely dead.

Thanks for the reply. I will try that. I take the battery out each year and bring it in where it is warm.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Check it and let us know. Seat switches don't go out very often. Did you wash it with water before you put it up? Could be a fuse, bad ground . Lawn mower wiring is fairly simple.

designwebs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check it and let us know. Seat switches don't go out very often. Did you wash it with water before you put it up? Could be a fuse, bad ground . Lawn mower wiring is fairly simple.

No I did not wash it out. I used my leaf blower just to remove any dirt and leafs on it. It was funny, I drove it up where I normally blow it off shut it off and then tried to restart it and nothing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a Craftsman rider I paid about $1000.00 new. I have had it about 4 or 5 years and it has served me well. Last season on the last mow of the year I parked it to clean the grass off her and put her away for the winter.

When I tried to start it nothing. No clicking sounds nothing. I'm thinking maybe the seat switch is broke. My question is, is there a way I can test this to see if this is the switch before I go and buy one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

The seat switch is not in the cranking circuit so it is not the cause of your problem.
The PTO & Brake switches are in the cranking circuit.
The PTO switch in under the dash
The Brake switch is usually under the floor and that would be the prime suspect.
Battery - Ignition Switch - PTO switch - Brake Switch - Solenoid - Starter.
One link in this chain is broke