Big Box Store Lawn Tractors

Jack17

Threads
Most dealers will match the price of their competitors.

Rickcin

Threads
Most dealers will match the price of their competitors.

I agree and would always give a dealer a chance to be competitive and I will be willing to pay a little more hoping that it will come back to me at some point in time.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Home Depot will also price match.
And you can negotiate price and get a better deal.
Big box store employees do not set the mowers up. There is a company that goes to the stores and sets them up.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
It still might be better to purchase from a dealer since if the box store does not set it up properly with the deck, belts, etc, there could be a problem down the road.

I would be interested to see the price difference.

Bought my JD D110 from Lowes here in Canada and it had the sticker from the local JD dealer on it. Was told by both the dealer and Lowes that the mower was setup when new and warranty claims were both done by the dealer. Dealer is actually closer to me but could not beat Lowes pricing. Salesman was an old high school buddy and told me to buy it from Lowes. I get all my parts for it from the dealer as they are cheaper. An oil filter from dealer is almost 1/2 the price.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Home Depot will also price match.
And you can negotiate price and get a better deal.
Big box store employees do not set the mowers up. There is a company that goes to the stores and sets them up.

Bought a bagger for the D110 and Lowes was cheaper than Home Depot or the dealer but I bought it from Home Depot because of their policy of matching the price plus another 10% discount.

csmlet

Threads
I bought my cub cadet from the local dealer, yes Home Depot would match price but the dealer only charged 3% sales tax where Home depot charges 9%. That nearly made up for the price difference plus getting from dealer is always best, imo.

Rickcin

Threads
I would love to get it from a dealer as well but the price difference has a lot to do with it. Neighbors on both sides of me who both have lawn tractors believe that big box tractors are built with some different parts! Who knows????

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you are a social security recipiant with massive medical bills and just barely surviving from one cheque to the next ? You have my sympathies & support
Or is you mind so peverse you can not pay 1¢ for anything without having nightmares & loosing sleep for 10 years ? You should be on the medical forum for treatment.

SO you can not manage to pay a bit more to support your local dealer but you expect a pile of people here, many of who are either dealers or work for dealers to come on line and fix your mowers problems for free ?
Life is much like a good marriage, you have to put in and sometimes take a little pain for long term benefits.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most big box stores also have a 30 day guarantee if you're not happy with the mower you can return it within 30 days dealers do not have that option.

I do buy my parts from a local dealer because most the time he is cheaper than what you can get the same part for on eBay. He also stocks my hard to find toro blades that toro only used for one year.
The parts department also has a cell phone so you can text them what you need. They text you back within minutes.

Max Headroom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Big box stores attract the home consumer (like myself) who's lawn maintenance needs are less than their professional or large land owner counterparts. If my needs were more commercial, I would definitely choose the dealer over the BBS. However, I am a small land owner and my needs are strictly consumer grade. And the BBS offers me the best prices for the consumer grade equipment I require.

I hold the independent dealer with the same regard as I would a sports pro shop. If it was something I needed professional quality, I would turn to the local pro shop and not Sports Authority. However, if it is the first pair of skates for my 2 year old. I will go to Walmart.