jim doyle

Jim doyle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 12 yr old Scag Zcat 42. Fantastic machine. Goes thru anything. about a month ago i was mowing into a bit of a thicker patch like 3 inches (not really much as this baby goes thru 3 ft high grass) and I noticed the blades were having trouble then stopped. I backed up with blades still engaged waited 5 secs and they started turning again. I thought weird never happened before. Then it did it again. Then again same row. I shut mower off to investigate. nothig obvious. tried to restart nothing no power dead batt. Hmmm. towed to garage and this is what i have done since. after chatting with my mech i got a new batt as old one was 4 yrs old. Installed worked a treat no problems. 1/2 hour later shut off same story just killed new batt. towed again charged batt. looked at entire elec system. nothing obvious except for the 2 fuses under the seat. Both good and working but looked like crap. Melty plastic rusty looking etc. Thought well they are working but something is causing the casing to fry. Replaced both fuses as well as the fuse holders. All good working fine. 1/2 hr in and I'm towing again. Checked belt for slippage, nothing replaced belt for giggles all good. OK so now I'm mad and confused. I got a new PTO switch - let me back up. I then checked undid and cleaned perfectly every single connection on the machine that i could get to. got my volt meter out and did all that. batt off holding 12.7 running 13.4. after installing the new PTO switch same thing 1/2 hour later I'm gone. I had suspected the clutch all along but as per Scag i ran a feeler gauge in and it was at 12. perfect. WTH>???!!! tightened up everything on all 3 sides and all are equal at 12K. Let mower sit overnight same story only this time when i got into trouble i did not keep pushing. I stopped and played with the brand new PTO switch. pulled and pushed and it seemed to reverse itself up was off down was on clicked between the positions until switch died. Back to the garage. sidetracked the PTO by putting a toggle in line to get me going. all good until that 1/2 hour mark. left overnight and now batt still dead. I'm charging now. watched several videos and still wondering if something inside the clutch when it gets hot starts to draw too much current. Is this possible? have had no ghost problems with this machine in 12 yrs. Nothing.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Sounds like your charging system is the problem. Not the clutch.

Lawn Addict
Threads
What does your voltmeter read w/engine running wide open throttle (No Load) ?

Then engage the blades & take a reading. (again at WFO)..

Jim doyle

Forum Newbie
Threads
What does your voltmeter read w/engine running wide open throttle (No Load) ?

Then engage the blades & take a reading. (again at WFO)..

sorry mate what's / where's the WFO?

Jim doyle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like your charging system is the problem. Not the clutch.

this seems to be the consensus. Forgot to mention that when i initially turn the key to the on position (engine not running) and lift the PTO switch i get a real loud solid CLICK WHICH I AM TOLD indicates that power is getting to the clutch.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
You start mower. Engage blades. Check your battery with mower running wide open. If its dropping then your charging system isn't working. BTW. Telling us what engine will help us answer your questions better.