Toro LX420 tractor mower won't go forward or in reverse.

dchildres

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro LX420 tractor mower won't go forward or in reverse.
Hi. Was cutting yard and transmission belt happen to come off. After putting belt back on, started mower and put lever in forward position. Mower would not move, began to observe smoke coming from underneath where engine pulley turns transmission belt due to belt not being able to turn transmission pulley. When gear is in neutral I can push mower, but if gear is in forward or reverse, cannot push mower forward or backwards. And I notice that when trying to push it while in gear, one wheel turns one way as the other wheel turns the opposite way. Haven't broken down transaxle yet, but was wondering if anyone has had this problem and is it easy to correct it ?

RDA.Lawns

Threads
That's normal. A trans axle will turn like that when in gear being pushed/pulled/drug. The belt came off for a reason. Start with a new belt. Chances are very high belt is wore out!!!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the belt off then push the mower. Does the pulley on the transaxle turn?
Report back with what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

dchildres

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you both for your suggestions, I will check those 2 things out in the morning and let you both know. Again, thank you.

dchildres

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Guys. Sorry I haven't got back here with my findings. When I got chance to troubleshoot taking the belt off I notice the pulley on the transaxle did look even. So I took the pulley off, doing so the star like grooves on the pulley and from the sprocket had like stripped. I ended taking the transaxle off, when I did, I turned the spindle and the everything moved like it supposed to. After inspection, I packed it with new grease and put it back together. It all looked like I need to purchase another transaxle pulley. Planning to go get the part, something hit me, making me wonder what caused the pulley grooves to strip. Then I thought to look at the variable speed pulley. I reached in and tried to turn it and it turned a little then locked up. So that was the reason of the transaxle pulley and sprocket to be stripped like that. I took the variable speed pulley off, the pulley area looked good. Then I took the cup bearing to inspect the bearings. One set of the bearing had gone bad, causing the stripping and not being able to push the mower. Replaced the bearings, the new pulley. Fired her up, felt like a kid at Christmas guys. Again, I appreciate your input on my issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the follow up they are really important for people searching latter on with a similar problem

dman66

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a similar issue with no forward or reverse and wound up replacing the missing transmission tension spring toro PT# 112-5991.

mm79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a similar issue with no forward or reverse and wound up replacing the missing transmission tension spring toro PT# 112-5991.
I know it’s been a year and a half, but i’m having a similar problem. I have a Toro LX 460 that my dad gave to me. Was running fine and i was mowing the grass when it suddenly stopped moving. Engine fires up fine and will roll backwards and forwards in neutral. i replaced the drive belt with a 5/8x90 but it is very loose - i mean it’s very loose. When i start it up and try to drive, lots of smoke from the shaft pulley. I’m wondering if the spring you referenced popped off or broke? But i’ve looked at the parts diagram and can’t see where it would attach to.
946A0D0E-6D30-4F3B-9C65-184187DF5967.jpeg

Last edited:

mm79

Forum Newbie
Threads
here’s a better quality picture. Any help is appreciated. B0BF53FC-E6A8-4399-A7E5-78EA770D9FB7.jpegB0BF53FC-E6A8-4399-A7E5-78EA770D9FB7.jpeg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like you have the belt run wrong
The other side goes through the clutching pulleys