Tires Restored self propelled on the cheap!!

parkboy

Threads
Ever since I picked up a nice curb find 1989 L21ZSNA last fall, I have not been very impressed with the self propulsion even though I replaced the capstan rollers. I reasoned that this couldn't have been too bad of drive system or Lawn Boy would not have stuck with it for 30+ years. The problem is, as many of you know, due to the fact that the old tires get worn down and the rubber loses all of its flexibility to the point of being hard as a rock. The original type wheels with a soft rubber compound are no longer available except as NOS and the folks that have them are REALLY proud of them. I solved my problem with 2 Arnold 8" universal plastic mower wheels from the local farm store with a slight modification. These universals were just a little too wide to fit on the axle with the felt washers, steel washers and keepers. So, I used a belt sander to grind off the 3/16" recess on the back side, which is made for the felt washer. This narrows up the wheel shaft enough to accomadate the steel washers and the keepers. I applied a light coat of Lucas Tacky grease to the axle shaft, which should prevent any " hot box" issues. Although these are not the classic "slick " tires this old "Boy" now pulls like a span of rank mules! Total cost about $16.00!