Repairs Removing fuel tank from Husqvarna riding mower Model YTH22V42LS

Denver

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Removing fuel tank from Husqvarna riding mower Model YTH22V42LS
While fueling my Husqvarna riding mower I inadvertently dropped a plastic cap from the gas can into the mowers fuel tank. I am afraid the cap, while too large to lodge in the fuel line, it might be sucked over the fuel line and disrupt the flow. Therefore, I would like to remove the fuel tank so I can retrieve the plastic cap I dropped in the tank
The owner's manual instructs to remove the seat which I have done. Then the manual goes on to instruct the user to remove the four bolts at the rear of the fender which retains the seat springs and the fender.At that point it infers that the whole fender housing can be removed by merely removing the gear shift handle hand grip and pulling the fender housing off.
I have tried that to no avail. it feels like the fender housing is also somehow fastened further forward from the seat.
PLEASE enlighten me on how to proceed. What else do I need to remove, if anything, to remove the fender housing so I can access the fuel tank? Are there additional fasteners that must be renoved / If so, where are they?
I downloaded the owner's manual but it is not very helpful. Is there a shop repair manual available? if so, where can I obtain one.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU.
- Denver>

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I'm betting the cap may float. Have you filled it up completely?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look at this diagram. I circled what I think is still causing problems.
husqvarna.jpg

Denver

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are correct, it looks like you would have to remove the lower dash (item 182 ) to access those screws? If so, it is not clear how to remove the lower dash.
Thanks for your input,
- Denver

Denver

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm betting the cap may float. Have you filled it up completely?
I hope spo, because I think I am just going to fill the tank and see what happens. Thanks for your reply,
Denver

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last time someone on my street came to me because they dropped the filler spout in the gas tank I got my 6 or 8 inch long needle noise pliers out an spend like 10 min digging it out.

JohnRup

Forum Newbie
Threads
While fueling my Husqvarna riding mower I inadvertently dropped a plastic cap from the gas can into the mowers fuel tank. I am afraid the cap, while too large to lodge in the fuel line, it might be sucked over the fuel line and disrupt the flow. Therefore, I would like to remove the fuel tank so I can retrieve the plastic cap I dropped in the tank
The owner's manual instructs to remove the seat which I have done. Then the manual goes on to instruct the user to remove the four bolts at the rear of the fender which retains the seat springs and the fender.At that point it infers that the whole fender housing can be removed by merely removing the gear shift handle hand grip and pulling the fender housing off.
I have tried that to no avail. it feels like the fender housing is also somehow fastened further forward from the seat.
PLEASE enlighten me on how to proceed. What else do I need to remove, if anything, to remove the fender housing so I can access the fuel tank? Are there additional fasteners that must be renoved / If so, where are they?
I downloaded the owner's manual but it is not very helpful. Is there a shop repair manual available? if so, where can I obtain one.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU.
- Denver>

I removed the 4 bolts by the seat springs and removed the metal box under the fender which holds the seat up, #58, (5 bolts), and a heavy spring, and the gas tank slid right out so I could get at the trans. The trans had dirt in it and was not shifting properly.

John

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back in post #3 BlazNT got it right
Remove those 4 bolts and the Nut from the steering gear under the mower so the wheel can lift about 1"
Remove the right rear wheel
Like that you can lift the fender just high enough to wiggle the tank out.
You will also have to pull the fuel line off and there might be both a fuel line & a vapour line.
DO not force the fender up or you will put creases in the foot board section which makes the mower very uncomfortable to use.
There is enough slack in the wiring, you just need about 1" of lift at the dash / turret where those 4 circled bolts go.
They are hard to get at and on some you need to remove the battery carrier front bolts then swing it up to get better access.

There is about 2 hours in it for me who have done it a few times so allow 3 to 4 .
No Husqvarna manuals but if you want to spend money on a good cause then the JD 100 series use the same body pressings so are almost identical.
I use a crane to lift the rear fender and a pair of jack stands under the chassis to make it comfortable to work on.