Poulan 2055 chainsaw

ducks13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have a Poulan 2055 chainsaw that hadn't run for a year or two. When I got to checking on it the fuel primer bulb needed to be replaced and the fuel lines, like alcohol had deteriorated them. Replaced them and it still won't start without giving it a shot of choke cleaner and then it revs for a half second then dies. So, I replaced the carb with a new Welbro carb just like was on it thinking that the pump diapharam was bad. New carb on it and it still the same. The primer bulb pumps fuel to the carb until it seems to be full and can't take any more so fuel delivery to the carb doesn't seem to be the problem.

Things I haven't done yet: Haven't tried to adjust the new carb at all, seems unlikely since it is acting the same as it was with the old carb. Haven't tried any different gas although it was fresh when I put it in. Anything else I should be trying? I'm used to be an experienced auto mechanic but haven't messed with small engines much. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Jack17

Threads
poulancarb.png

Follow the proper fuel line/tube routing as indicated on diagram. If bulb gets hard while you're priming it, tubes are connected wrong.

ducks13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! So the fuel line from the tank pickup should go straight to the carb and then the other line should go to the primer bulb so the primer suck fuel through the carb and let any excess go back into the tank? Okay, I'll try it like that.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If reversed you can push fuel into the carb, which will get pushed into then venturi of the carb, and flood the engine.

ducks13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, I've got it hooked like the diagram except I can't seem to get the return fuel line to press fit through the hole in the fuel tank. I've tried cutting the line off at and angle to get it started but can't seem to get it all the way through the hole, does anyone know a easy way to do it? I remember saying a prayer when I replaced the supply line and thinking I must really be good because it went in pretty easy but it doesn't seem to be working for me know. I presume both lines are the same size, I got the fuel line at NAPA.

Also, does anyone know where there a circuit diagram or illustrated theory of operation for a carb like the one on this saw?

Thanks for the previous information Jack and IL.

Jack17

Threads
The hole for the fuel return tube is tapered. Guess which way it tapers? Yeah...its larger inside the fuel tank and narrows as it goes out. There is a plastic tip that goes on the tube that seals the deal once it is there. Don't forget to put it on, otherwise saw will leak when turned sideways. Could catch fire...not good! Use long pliers and 'fish' it thru from inside out...goes in quite easily.

ducks13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Geez, you can't even see the return hole inside the tank. What kind of seal do I need? Where would I buy them?

Thanks Jack!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to make a long enough taper on the end of the hose to get it through the hole far enough to being able to get a hold of it on the other side. The seal he is talking about is a double ended hose barb looking thing that Poulan likes to put on the end of that hose. I will not leak without it. It is more to prevent the hose from pulling out of the tank because the end doesn't sit very far from the inside edge the tank.

I do so many of those a year, I buy the fuel line in 50 foot rolls,

Jack17

Threads
Geez, you can't even see the return hole inside the tank. What kind of seal do I need? Where would I buy them?

Thanks Jack!
Ain't that bout a :rolleyes:? I used to know a guy that knew the guy who was a father to the little 12 y/o Chinese girl that assembled those saws in China. They have small hands...you know!? :laughing: Where is the original tip? What did you do with it? You can try to locate the part at searsparts-dot-com.