Craftsman 502270210 loose steering

Corbin5754

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not able to steer my craftsman 502270210 very well and not sure what parts I need to order to fix the issue. Sector gear?

Jack17

Threads
rearrider.png

In blue are the components that could give you a sloppy steering and in red are the ones that need good lube twice a year....because if you don't lube it, it'll make 'blue components' work much harder wearing it out much faster.

btw, 'blue' parts need lube also.

Corbin5754

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you so I should just look over these parts and see what is bad?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good explanation by Jack17.

The pinion and sector gear ( in blue ) - should be lubed before the mower is ever used from new out of the box. Gun grease on the gear teeth and oil in the sleeve bearings ( called bushings by some non mechanics ). I use bar and chain lube oil for the sleeve bearings but singer sewing machine oil is better than no lube.

On right side discharge mowers the sector teeth will usually be worn the most via left turns being dominate.

OK, let's hear it from those that prefer dry dirt rather than lubricated dirt.

Corbin5754

Forum Newbie
Threads
The sector gear looks hard to get to do I need to take off or unbolt the top section of the mower to get it off?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The sector gear looks hard to get to do I need to take off or unbolt the top section of the mower to get it off?

I wouldn't unbolt but find a way to use a grease gun with a flex hose or put grease on the gear teeth with a modified wooden paint stir stick etc. It often takes ingenuity and desire to just do it. My JD lawn tractor was a bitch to lube the steering pinion gear bushing so I Zip tied a length of small tubing ( similar to oxygen tubing ) to the steering shaft and terminated it at the bushing top end letting gravity do the remainder. A half dozen drops of oil in the top of the tubing where it was easy access eventually lubed the bushing.