McAllister chainsaw no spark

lesgraham

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've just bought a never used McAllister petrol chainsaw from Gumtree.It was in the box,and obviously never used. I've put chain oil in it,and fresh 40 :1 mixture,but it would not start.When I took the plug out and pulled the starter cord I saw there was no spark. I checked continuity on the on/off switch,and found strangely that there was continuity whichever position the switch was in(??).That was a disappointment,as I had hoped there would be the opposite ie no continuity & therefore there was the problem, but no. So I don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions anyone?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Disconnect the wires from start switch and see if she starts. If she does than you have a bad switch if not than a wiring problem.

lesgraham

Forum Newbie
Threads
Disconnect the wires from start switch and see if she starts. If she does than you have a bad switch if not than a wiring problem.

Have tried for a spark and this time there was one- (don't know what happened last time).I went through the cold start procedure-(choke on,six presses of primer bulb,four pulls of starter cord,choke off,and it started.So I can only assume it needed a little more effort to start because it had been unused for a while.Thanks for the advice.