Intek 19.5hp 502cc engine - smokes/runs rough/dies after winter layoff

mikaho

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Intek 19.5hp 502cc engine - smokes/runs rough/dies after winter layoff
I have a used Poulan Pro 500EX with an Intek 19.5hp 502cc engine. We bought the lawnmower a year ago when we bought our house with a half acre yard. It ran great all spring, summer, fall. We keep it in shed where it stayed for the winter. I pulled it out to start mowing again and it runs quite bad.It starts but is smoking badly and running inconsistently and if I try to mow, it continuously dies. I notice that there appears to be some fluid on the muffler but the oil level is good. whatever is on the muffler is definitely burning off but there appears to me to be smoke blowing out of the exhaust when the engine idles down and acts like it is going to die. When it kicks back up to higher rpms, the smoke seems to reduce.

I'm Looking for trouble shooting help as I would prefer to fix myself rather than having to rent a trailer to take it to a shop. below is a link to a video. my wife is out so I couldn't get off the seat due to the kill switch.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Q6hociNSNbTXkyTW9EUnRyNDg

Adding a note: the smoke is white (maybe blue? but looks white to me.) That shows on the video.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure you have good quality fuel. If the fuel set in it over the winter, could be a fuel issue, or water mixed with the fuel. Also make sure the choke is working on the carb those can get sticky and not want to reopen after closing.

Mick Oz

Threads
It looks to me like you have the same problem as I do. Petrol leaking past the needle and seat valve, filling the carb and running down the crankcase vent tube into your oil.
If you remove your oil dip stick and smell the oil, does it smell of petrol?
Its an easy fix if we have the same problem. Drop the old oil and change the filter then make sure you have a fuel shut off valve between your tank and the carb and each time you stop the mower shut the valve off for 30 seconds before you turn off the engine. That will stop fuel leaking past the needle and seat into your crank case.
Other than that clean or change your plug and let us know if it helped.

mikaho

Forum Newbie
Threads
It looks to me like you have the same problem as I do. Petrol leaking past the needle and seat valve, filling the carb and running down the crankcase vent tube into your oil.
If you remove your oil dip stick and smell the oil, does it smell of petrol?
Its an easy fix if we have the same problem. Drop the old oil and change the filter then make sure you have a fuel shut off valve between your tank and the carb and each time you stop the mower shut the valve off for 30 seconds before you turn off the engine. That will stop fuel leaking past the needle and seat into your crank case.
Other than that clean or change your plug and let us know if it helped.

I think this is a winner. Oil definitely smelled of gas. When I drained it, it was thin and runny and once in the pan, smelled heavily of gas. My mower doesn't have an oil filter so getting ready to add fresh oil and we'll see if it runs from there.

mikaho

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think this is a winner. Oil definitely smelled of gas. When I drained it, it was thin and runny and once in the pan, smelled heavily of gas. My mower doesn't have an oil filter so getting ready to add fresh oil and we'll see if it runs from there.

Runs like a charm. Thanks for the help!