Old Briggs & Stratton Weedeater

Anasazi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, new to this forum. Also a newbie to fixing small engines. Up till now all I've bothered with is the basics of maintenance.

Anyways, I have a push mower that's a few years old and hasn't been started up in at least a year. Right now, its not starting. I've tried cleaning the park plugs to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or if there's already a guide posted for this kind of thing a push in that direction would be nice.

Thank you!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lets start with the model, type and Code from your engine so we can see what engine you have. The location of those number could vary from above the spark plug, above the muffler, or to other parts of the blower housing.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need ignition (spark), fuel, compression, and timing and it will run no matter what you have for a engine. Start small like fresh fuel, clean filters and a new spark plug. Replace the spark plug they are cheap. Try some starting fluid into the carburetor and see what happens. Some of the B&S engines have a fuel pump built into the carburetor in which the diaphragm dries out and it wouldn't pick up fuel. As ILENGINE said a model number would be helpful.

solefate

Threads
For the most part I almost always start with the fuel system. With the ethanol fuels I see a lot more problems with clogging that with spark or compression. Though a spark plug is about the same as a can of carb cleaner lol.