Finally a Toro of my own

Mick Oz

Threads
I found a ToroXL 380H
For sale as a non runner so I only went for a look, no solid plan.
But when I saw the condition of the deck and the mower in general, I decided to try and fix it up.
It's a model 71252, which has leaked fuel into the oil sump and from what the owner described then blew that mixture out of the crank case breather. I am waiting for pictures to upload and give you a look at what I found.

Last edited:

Mick Oz

Threads
Photos of model dip stick with fuel oil mix and breather.IMG_4536.jpgIMG_4544.jpgIMG_4547.jpgIMG_4536.jpgIMG_4544.jpgIMG_4547.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The quick & dirty fix is to put a $ 5.00 in line fuel tap in the fuel line between the tank & fuel pump or tank & fuel filter on the gravity fed machines.
Get a good one from a mower shop as there is a lot oc ware only ones out there with neoprene seals which will swell then brake up causing you a lot of grief.

Get some really cheap oil, do a double oil changer then run the engine for a while and change the oil again with some good mower oil.

The fuel flowed into the engine because the float valve did not shut off the fuel supply and fuel overfilled the carb then tricked down the intake and into the engine.
This is very common and you have the option of cleaning out the carb replacing the float needle / seat ( if replacable ) or the whole carb.

Expect the mower to be a bit smokey when it starts.
If there was a lot of fuel on top of the piston when the previous owner tried to crank the engine he may have blown the head gasket.
Again a cheap & simple repair , about 2 to 3 hours if it is the first one you have done

Mick Oz

Threads
A wider view.

Attachments

• IMG_4559.jpg
    IMG_4559.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4560.jpg
    IMG_4560.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4578.jpg
    IMG_4578.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 17

Mick Oz

Threads
Thank you Bertsmobile, the previous owner said the mower had been running for a short time then blew oil and fuel out of the engine.
He was unclear whether it came from the breather or the exhaust.
I have just ordered a new oil filter and air filter online and will do a change and flush as soon as they arrive.
Do any of you recommend a particular manual or set of videos to teach me how to do the gasket replacement if it is needed?

The ID numbers are
Model: 31E777
Type: 0130-B1
Code: 080728ZD

Mick Oz

Threads
I used your information and got it running Bert, Thank you!
Also put in a fuel stop valve, as I can't properly ID the carb yet to buy a new needle and seat, so that when I clean it if I break something I can replace it.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Mick Oz

Threads
Thankyou. I will follow the links