Requesr info

deck~dragger

Threads
What is the make and model # on the engine? Without that info I would say spray some penetrating oil around the screws/bolts of the muffler cap [ exhaust outlet] let set awhile, then carefully remove the screws.

barringtonq

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the make and model # on the engine? Without that info I would say spray some penetrating oil around the screws/bolts of the muffler cap [ exhaust outlet] let set awhile, then carefully remove the screws.
. ...You are right, My yard machine is 660 thru 670 Mod 13DF675G062 13283918 HP X 42" SN 1H302H10059 MTD, I would appreciate if you have (the video on how to) "locate and clean the spark arrestor" Thank you.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Just remove it and chunk it in the garbage can. If you cant get it apart poke a hole in it.Its no reason for a lawnmower to have a spark arester. Its basically a small screen in the muffler. Common on 2 strokes. They tend to build up carbon and kill engine performance. I know someone is going to say don't remove it . lol

barringtonq

Forum Newbie
Threads
The reason I need the video of locating the spark arrestor on my MTD 18HP 42" 660-679 yard machine is because my mower get hot in a extraordinarily quick time, and even smokes like fire, so if you can provide the assistance I would be thankful. Briggs & Stratton Intek 500cc 17.5 HPMOD 31R907-0007-G1.

primerbulb120

Threads
Just remove it and chunk it in the garbage can. If you cant get it apart poke a hole in it.Its no reason for a lawnmower to have a spark arester. Its basically a small screen in the muffler. Common on 2 strokes. They tend to build up carbon and kill engine performance. I know someone is going to say don't remove it . lol

LOL, that would be me :laughing:

I don't remove my mower spark arrestors because I mulch LOTS of leaves and I don't want a spark coming out the muffler when I've got dry oak leaves flying everywhere.

I don't remove my handheld spark arrestors because I have run a blower at night with no muffler and I know how many sparks they make. (It's more than you would expect.) Yes, the muffler will catch most of them but I want the arrestor there for added safety.

deck~dragger

Threads
Try youtube. Several things that can cause overheating, one being mice like to build nests under the cowling around the cooling fins in the offseason.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to Briggs & Strattons web site, click customer service / manuals / parts list and if that engine has a low tone muffler on it you will see the spark arrestor listed as a replacable part.
Make sure you have your full engine model number with you.
AFAIK almost no ride ons have spark arrestors fitted as they use mufflers with longish tailpipes.
As you have already been told, a blocked arrestor does not cause the engine to overheat.
It causes the engine to be very slow to accelerate, run slowly , loose power or stop dead whenever the throttle opens up fully.