Exmark Quest S Series Deck Strength

bradrich18

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently got a 2016 42" Quest S series. I have no problem with the way it cuts, handles, etc... I do have a problem with the mowing deck. Underneath the front of the deck, there is what I call a small lip. I have bent it twice by hitting roots at slow speeds. I understand this is a lower end Exmark and there are better options out there. But, is the deck supposed to be this weak? I have used many different mowers in my life and all of them except one cost much less than an Exmark. I have never had this problem with another mower before. I've quickly realized I'm going to have to do a little more weed eating to stay further away from the trees than I thought. I was just wondering if I was the only one experiencing this. Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
It is only a pressing and even going slow there is a lot of force behind the deck.
Standard fix is to find some reo rod that is a close fit and tack weld it into the round channel.
Reo rod s full soft so bends really easy and a lot of people run it all he way round the deck and particular across the discharge mouth to prevent the front getting bent in and being chopped up by the blades.

bradrich18

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:
It is only a pressing and even going slow there is a lot of force behind the deck.
Standard fix is to find some reo rod that is a close fit and tack weld it into the round channel.
Reo rod s full soft so bends really easy and a lot of people run it all he way round the deck and particular across the discharge mouth to prevent the front getting bent in and being chopped up by the blades.

Thanks! I've been paying attention to what's around me and haven't experienced this again. I will say the mower has a good, even cut. I appreciate the feedback and will look in to putting this around the deck.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
In the US it is called rebar. May make it easier to find for you.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I recently got a 2016 42" Quest S series. I have no problem with the way it cuts, handles, etc... I do have a problem with the mowing deck. Underneath the front of the deck, there is what I call a small lip. I have bent it twice by hitting roots at slow speeds. I understand this is a lower end Exmark and there are better options out there. But, is the deck supposed to be this weak? I have used many different mowers in my life and all of them except one cost much less than an Exmark. I have never had this problem with another mower before. I've quickly realized I'm going to have to do a little more weed eating to stay further away from the trees than I thought. I was just wondering if I was the only one experiencing this. Thanks.

Although lots of people want the fab deck. It is heaver than a stamped deck. They also do not have a smooth rounded lip. This part grabs instead of slides over things. This is why you are having this problem. From what is see of your deck it already has a stiffing peice all the way around the deck. I would doubt if rebar will do any good. It more sounds like the deck its self has a learning curve that you have already mastered.

JanJ

Threads
I have the 50" Quest Steering unit, and have lots of hills and submerged rocks that get my attention now and then... I have not encountered deck bending at all, even after heavy contact, but I believe that the 50" deck is more heavy duty than the 42"..
However, I HAVE had issues with both of the metal pieces used on the MULCH KIT OPTION, both of which have deformed due to contact with rocks and trees, etc. You'll know if it happens... even light contact with blades make a hell of a racket!
I've had to remove and bend them back... More than once!

If Exmark would come up with Mulch Shroud pieces that were as solid as the mower deck is on the 50" model, I'd purchase them in a heartbeat....

halflife trackball

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I've been paying attention to what's around me and haven't experienced this again. I will say the mower has a good, even cut. I appreciate the feedback and will look in to putting this around the deck.

do i blow up the building or disarm the bomb, destroying the sears lawnmower warehouse

halflife trackball

Forum Newbie
Threads
Although lots of people want the fab deck. It is heaver than a stamped deck. They also do not have a smooth rounded lip. This part grabs instead of slides over things. This is why you are having this problem. From what is see of your deck it already has a stiffing peice all the way around the deck. I would doubt if rebar will do any good. It more sounds like the deck its self has a learning curve that you have already mastered.

:cool:i have a

fub 156x lawnmower type so I cant help you with your situation but mine is dirt cheap