Model FH661V (675cc) won't start due to flooding.

rawinok2

Forum Newbie
Threads
This engine is on a John Deere X324 lawn tractor that I bought new in 2006. Last year, towards the end of the mowing season, I noticed that it was running rich on start up, (running rough and chugging out a little black smoke) but would smooth out under load and run just fine. Once in October, I started it to give my grandson a ride and it never would smooth out so I just parked it for the winter. Two weeks ago, I figured I better start looking into it. It coughed and sputtered and chugged out black smoke but would not stay running at all. I checked the spark and it was strong on both cylinders. I removed the air cleaner and found gas puddling in front of the choke valve. I removed the spark plugs and they were saturated with gas. I checked the oil level and it was high and smelled of gas. From all of these clues I figured that maybe the float was not working properly. So I pulled the carb and installed a new needle. I figured if I held the float down in a jar of gasoline and saw no air bubbles, it must be ok, so I put it all back together and found no improvement. Next I reasoned that the fuel pump might be failing and bypassing fuel into the crankcase, especially since the excess gas in the carb. air inlet chamber was directly under a crankcase vent hose. I ordered and installed a new fuel pump and still no change. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!

NorthBama

Threads
not familiar with your carburetor does it have a replaceable needle seat.

rawinok2

Forum Newbie
Threads
not familiar with your carburetor does it have a replaceable needle seat.

I'll have to take it apart and check again but I'm pretty sure it didn't.

Attachments

• FH661V-AS05_WW_2.gif
    FH661V-AS05_WW_2.gif
    41.3 KB · Views: 22

rawinok2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Problem solved. On the plastic spacer (#92026) that holds the float needle valve, an o-ring (#92055) was bad and was allowing fuel to bypass into the bowl. I'm guessing the use of ethanol caused the o-ring to deteriorate. It runs like a champ now!

Attachments

• FH661V-AS05_WW_2.gif
    FH661V-AS05_WW_2.gif
    41.3 KB · Views: 36

NorthBama

Threads
glad you got it going thanks for update