John Deere Rider With Fuel Problems

solefate

Threads
Hey guys! I have a John Deere with a Kohler CV15-41562 Engine. When I got it, the fuel system was ancient sludge. I dropped and cleaned the tank, replaced the hoses, and cleaned the fuel pump. I cleaned the carb as best I could. It will start choked, and I even mowed with it for a few minutes. Now it will only run a few seconds and die. So I'm guessing it's the carb. When I bump the key with the fuel line off the carb, the pump shoots quite a bit of gas out so I'm pretty sure the pump is good though this is the first one I've messed with. Just seems like a large diaphragm. So with that being said, is there any way to remove the jets on this carb? It doesn't look quite like the carbs I'm used to. Or do you guys think something else is to blame?

Side question: Engine revs up when brake is depressed. Are the brakes on these hydrostatics more like a clutch than a brake?

20170315_190310.jpg20170315_190556.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the brake is also a clutch
1) linkages worn & mower is not properly in neutral
2) a frozen pulley is putting drag on the belt
3) Hydro box is deceased.

On that carb the bowl nut is the mainjet.
It should have a through hole from side to side and a smaller one drilled in from the top to intercept it

solefate

Threads
On that carb the bowl nut is the mainjet.
It should have a through hole from side to side and a smaller one drilled in from the top to intercept it

How can you tell? The carb I have is an older Walbro LMK part number 1205382. The carb that all the diagrams show is a newer one to replace this one and has a fuel solenoid (bleh). This is the only diagram i could find for an lmk with a bolt instead of a solenoid. LMK 26 It is not exact mind you, but the bolt does not have any holes. I saw ones with holes for tecumseh, should I just try and find one that fits? Thanks bert as always!

/edit I also noticed the throttle linkage hookup on the carb has no return spring. Will that play a role in it not staying running? And/or will it make it govern weird?

Seems like no matter how much I learn I'm still way behind on these things :thumbdown:

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can tell because I fix these things daily.
You can tell by having a think about what you see.
The bowl pushes tight against the mixing chamber so no fuel can come in through the bottom of it.
There is a hole in the side that lets the fuel in but it is huge so that can not be metering the fuel as you should have a hole in the order of 0.010" diameter.
You will find that hole in the top of the bolt that holds the bowl in place ( not shown in your photo ).
It will had a horizontal hole, probably filled with gunk and a finner hole from the end into the horizontal hole.
I have been given mowers to work on where the DPO replaced the "filthy corroded bolt" for a nice new one then could not work out why the engine would start but not run or would run but stop the instant the blades were engaged ( which fully opens the throttle).
The choke has a return spring, the throttle does not as you put tension on a spring which pulls against the governor and the governor trys to close the throttle working against the spring that you pull in tension when you move the throttle control.

Do you have the maintanance manual for your mower ?
If not spend the $75 and buy one.
It goes throught the engine & mower as if your were a 12 year old who has never seen a mower in their life.
In fact it s a lot bette than most text books apprentice mechanics have to suffer through.

solefate

Threads
I can tell because I fix these things daily.
You can tell by having a think about what you see.
The bowl pushes tight against the mixing chamber so no fuel can come in through the bottom of it.
There is a hole in the side that lets the fuel in but it is huge so that can not be metering the fuel as you should have a hole in the order of 0.010" diameter.
You will find that hole in the top of the bolt that holds the bowl in place ( not shown in your photo ).
It will had a horizontal hole, probably filled with gunk and a finner hole from the end into the horizontal hole.
I have been given mowers to work on where the DPO replaced the "filthy corroded bolt" for a nice new one then could not work out why the engine would start but not run or would run but stop the instant the blades were engaged ( which fully opens the throttle).
The choke has a return spring, the throttle does not as you put tension on a spring which pulls against the governor and the governor trys to close the throttle working against the spring that you pull in tension when you move the throttle control.

Do you have the maintanance manual for your mower ?
If not spend the $75 and buy one.
It goes throught the engine & mower as if your were a 12 year old who has never seen a mower in their life.
In fact it s a lot bette than most text books apprentice mechanics have to suffer through.

No this is a mower I'm just fiddling with for a friend. Bare with me I'm slow. How does the bolt change the flow of fuel when the large hole in the side has it pouring in?

This is the part it is supposed to be. Retainer Though I have seen the type you are talking about.

On a side note I cleaned it out again and is thus far running great. But I'm always open to your teachings. :thumbsup: