GX75 brake pins frozen

Jack17

Threads
Like Bert said use Nickel based anti-size. Don't use copper or graphite cause it could promote corrosion of aluminum.

BTW, from the pictures Dan took it doesn't look like this break assembly was meant to be serviceable on 915s...I mean you can get to it but...Holy Cow!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was reading through the Peerless Manual I sent... it seems the brake could be mounted on either side but no mention of splitting cases for brake repair. Like you thought.. you must have some variation of a 915 trans. The diagrams in the Peerless manual appears that
all those similar models 700 thru 900 series all have a typical removable lower brake housing ..View attachment 31337

But your pic ... doesn't seem to represent that !!! ....View attachment 31338

SO ... it's beginning to seem .. like the trans may have to be dropped if you can't get the pins out ... but you may only be able to replace the pins and MAYBE the outer brake pad plate and pad ... PATIENCE ... keep working on the pins ... actually , ..I believe the only important function of these trans brakes is to stop trans moving gears to allow shifting of gears ... pulling the engine throttle back usually slows the tractor itself ... granted the brake is there for helping in that issue . As usual keep us up-dated ..Boobala

JD did funny things with brakes.
Many of them are inside the box and ran in tranny oil

Speedydan

Threads
Thanks guys. It looks like we were all on the same page.

UPDATE: I borrowed a heat gun and good news! The pins finally came out. Luckily, it also freed up the brake rotor too (I guess my tapping on the pins pushed the pads on the rotor for a bit. And in other good news, the brakes work now too! I put each pin in the drill and cleaned them up. They now slide freely and reengage the brake well with just pushing with my fingers.

Thanks for the nickel grease tip. Im off to autozone now to get grease, a new pin for the brake lever connection, and some brake cleaner to really clear and compressor blow as much crud out of the caliper cavity well as possible.

I was worried the blow torch application would fry the brake pads, because it took a lonnnng time to get these pins out and some hefty whacks with the hammer to loosen up. I certainly dont want to have to deal with this again in this mower's life time. A friend can get the pins coated for me next week but I may just nickel grease these things and get them back in today.

Thanks guys!!

P.S. For thorough all round mower cleaning should I just remove the battery, douse the mower in diluted purple power and then hose wash the top and under side and then let dry for a day? I dont have to worry about damage to belts, bearings or electronics do I with hose washing the mower down?

Jack17

Threads
Nicely done!!! :thumbsup:

Lawn mowers are like Husky Dogs in Alaska. Is not about keeping them warm but its all about keeping them dry and the rest will take care of itself. I don't even use garden hose. Clean it all out with a blower or compressed air, wipe it all down with oily rag and lube A LOT!!! Change oil twice a season and clean air filter and spark plug. At the end of the season do a proper lay-up and she'll run for you forever!

Speedydan

Threads
Thanks Jack!

Brakes working now! Thanks for he help guys. Hopefully this thread helps others in the future.

Just going to clean the air filter and plug now. Maybe look at that oil..

image.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well Dan you made our day ..
Glad to hear you got er done !! .......... If you do hose it down ... be sure you blow as much water off as possible (especially the top of the Trans pulley and the others as well ) then a good day in HOT sun.... WATER .. is your enemy and RUST NEVER SLEEPS !!!! A good maintenance program as Jack mentioned is essential for a long life on these babies, you take care, stay safe ... use common sense and .... drop a line once in awhile .. Boobala ..:cool2:

Speedydan

Threads
Hi guys,

** GX75 FOR SALE **

So, latest update. I ended up outgrowing the gx75 a little and my wife needing something a bit more modern that she could drive (so Im not nagged constantly to mow the yard). So I recall some guys on here being fond of the gx75 and wanted to offer them the chance first. Im in indiana. Let me know!

Photo above ^^^