GX75 brake pins frozen

Speedydan

Threads
Hi guys,

The brakes never worked since purchasing a GX75 this year. When tightening the brake adjuster made no difference, I started to take the brakes apart. Removing the brake lever and lever guide, it appears I have a brake system with the caliper underneath and designed to be one unit with the transmission.

Evebtually, after reading around, I read the two pins, sticking out either side of the brake lever actuator bolt, should be removable. They are not. After 24hrs of soaking in penetrating oil and a couple of taps with the hammer and they are still frozen stuck.

Any suggestions please or am I barking up the wrong tree trying to get these pins out?

I have a replacement brake rotor and new pads on the way. Im a little bit unsure how this brake system comes apart as the rotor seems fairly attached to the transmission (as it probably should be in order for the brake to be able to stop the mower).

Any advice would be helpful

Jack17

Threads
A two frozen steel pins in aluminum housing...never easy. These pins need to move freely. Don't be afraid to put some heat to it and pull them out with a vise-grip. Those two 1/4" bolts holding the break assembly to transmission housing...real easy to break them off if you're not careful. Not pretty! If you do, you're looking at drilling out what's left of it in the hole and re-tapping.

Speedydan

Threads
A two frozen steel pins in aluminum housing...never easy. These pins need to move freely. Don't be afraid to put some heat to it and pull them out with a vise-grip. Those two 1/4" bolts holding the break assembly to transmission housing...real easy to break them off if you're not careful. Not pretty! If you do, you're looking at drilling out what's left of it in the hole and re-tapping.

Thanks Jack. My next concern is the design of my peerless tecumseh transaxle seems to be the only I've seen that has the brake caliper one whole piece with the bottom half casing of the transaxle. I really can't find a join of any sort to suggest they are two seperate items. So my next question is how is the brake rotor supposed to be removed, since it cant simply slide off it's spindle with this design, without taking off the top half of the transaxle casing

Jack17

Threads
I've got two mowers with exact same transmissions as yours. Did break jobs on both of them long ago and don't recall how exactly rotor is held down. Remember that it wasn't a big deal at all. I think it was a single Allen bolt right in the center holding it down to the shaft. Biggest problem (as I recall) was taking them two bolts holding the front bracket out. Let me take a look at some diagrams and I'll get back to you with details.

Speedydan

Threads
I've got two mowers with exact same transmissions as yours. Did break jobs on both of them long ago and don't recall how exactly rotor is held down. Remember that it wasn't a big deal at all. I think it was a single Allen bolt right in the center holding it down to the shaft. Biggest problem (as I recall) was taking them two bolts holding the front bracket out. Let me take a look at some diagrams and I'll get back to you with details.

Thanks Jack, I can also upload a photo of mine to confirm we are talking about the same transmission?

Jack17

Threads
Yeah. They call it a cap screw (#4 on diagram) that is in the middle of the (#8) break disk that goes onto a shaft that goes thru a seal, a needle bearing, a washer, spur gear and that is it! Easy does it. :thumbsup:

Speedydan

Threads
Yeah. They call it a cap screw (#4 on diagram) that is in the middle of the (#8) break disk that goes onto a shaft that goes thru a seal, a needle bearing, a washer, spur gear and that is it! Easy does it. :thumbsup:

What diagram please?

My photo links below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcsrnfk1hl3b3yc/Photo Mar 16, 1 49 51 PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxcig8jn3o4etm6/Photo Mar 16, 1 49 58 PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ke8p8pv91glhvr/Photo Mar 16, 1 50 03 PM.jpg?dl=0

Jack17

Threads
That's NOT 800 series trans!!! That thing doesn't come apart like I told you. Looks like you gonna have to drop the tranny and split it in half to get to it. Look at it from this angle...still not a big deal and you get the opportunity to clean the old grease out and lube it all nice and fresh on the inside!!!