GX75 brake pins frozen

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
1 - a random plate screwed in on the outside of the brake lever guide says: "915 006B Peerless". It then also says "1248 000062" so that must be a late addition ID labelling since the casing has nothing on it but Tecumseh label and address and also patent numbers.

2 - the transaxle is belt fed from the engine from what I can see.

3 - I can clean it all with some 50/50 Purple power and water and then hose it all down if you think that will do the job without hurting the belts? Battery removed prior of course.

purple power is great for cleaning .. it removes paint on certain objects too !! Dan ... it does appear to get this brake working , it will probably
be best to drop the trans, looking at that photo from some manual you posted ..those pins sticking out of the housing on each side of the stud should be what pushes the pads against the disc..be sure to use your camera..looking at the diagrams in the manual can you tell which model you have ... the numbers point to a 900 series ???

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
purple power is great for cleaning .. it removes paint on certain objects too !! Dan ... it does appear to get this brake working , it will probably
be best to drop the trans, looking at that photo from some manual you posted ..those pins sticking out of the housing on each side of the stud should be what pushes the pads against the disc..be sure to use your camera..looking at the diagrams in the manual can you tell which model you have ... the numbers point to a 900 series ???

Check page # 55 in the Peerless manual I sent... the 915 series trans !!! that should be it .. the starting point .

Speedydan

Threads
Yep, Im sure I have the 915 series. Although my brake caliper is not removable which throws me off a bit from what the manual is saying. It must just be a mild (annoying) variation of that transaxle.

Agreed on the trans dropping and opening. I didnt envision being that intensive with the mower right away but I guess I have to learn some day. And the grass isnt growing too fast in Indiana this time of year. Time to enlist the help of a friend w the belt uncoupling and trans opening I think.

Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep, Im sure I have the 915 series. Although my brake caliper is not removable which throws me off a bit from what the manual is saying. It must just be a mild (annoying) variation of that transaxle.

Agreed on the trans dropping and opening. I didnt envision being that intensive with the mower right away but I guess I have to learn some day. And the grass isnt growing too fast in Indiana this time of year. Time to enlist the help of a friend w the belt uncoupling and trans opening I think.

Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated.

once you drop the trans and clean it up... things will be much clearer ... USE the CAMERA Dan !!!

Jack17

Threads
Looks like 915 it is. Thanks for a nice link to all them transmissions Boobala.

Dan, looking at and judging the last two pictures you've posted I'm convinced that there is nothing wrong with the rotor. Also, the amount of 'pin' that is sticking out tells me that there is a lot of meat left in them pads. If you could blast it all clean, get them two pins to move again you could be looking at perfectly fine working break that will last you another 10 years? What are we looking at? An hour of labor, maybe? But if you decide to get that tranny out and rebuild breaks 'the proper way'...then...8-10 hours of labor to get to $10 item? Think about it.

Speedydan

Threads
Looks like 915 it is. Thanks for a nice link to all them transmissions Boobala.

Dan, looking at and judging the last two pictures you've posted I'm convinced that there is nothing wrong with the rotor. Also, the amount of 'pin' that is sticking out tells me that there is a lot of meat left in them pads. If you could blast it all clean, get them two pins to move again you could be looking at perfectly fine working break that will last you another 10 years? What are we looking at? An hour of labor, maybe? But if you decide to get that tranny out and rebuild breaks 'the proper way'...then...8-10 hours of labor to get to $10 item? Think about it.

Very good point. I'll get the heat gun out and try to pull those pins today.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very good point. I'll get the heat gun out and try to pull those pins today.

I agree .... try to work on those pins ... lots of PB-Blaster penetrant and "TAP" -"TAP" with small hammer , don't "mushroom" the pins & install nut on stud in case hammer has a mind of it's own . Heat gun is great choice also.. LAST resort is to drop trans.
If you really have to mow ... maybe you can ask a friend with a mower, might be a kid around with a mower looking to make a few bucks ...lots of options .. :smile:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Warm the whole set up with a torch or hot air gun then spray it liberally with you favourite penetrating fluid.
As it cools down it will suck into the cavity.
If it was in my workshop & I could get my hands on new pins I would cut a slot in them then rotate with a screwdriver & pull them out once free.
If you have a hammer drill ( most cordless are ) close down the jaws to a point press against the pins then turn on the drill, you don't need to press hard.
The 1200 tiny taps / miin are really good at breaking free corroded together parts.
When they do come out a little bit of NICKEL ( NOT COPPER ) anti sieze goes a long way to preventing this happening again.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was reading through the Peerless Manual I sent... it seems the brake could be mounted on either side but no mention of splitting cases for brake repair. Like you thought.. you must have some variation of a 915 trans. The diagrams in the Peerless manual appears that
all those similar models 700 thru 900 series all have a typical removable lower brake housing ..BRAKE.JPG

But your pic ... doesn't seem to represent that !!! ....TRANS CC.jpg

SO ... it's beginning to seem .. like the trans may have to be dropped if you can't get the pins out ... but you may only be able to replace the pins and MAYBE the outer brake pad plate and pad ... PATIENCE ... keep working on the pins ... actually , ..I believe the only important function of these trans brakes is to stop trans moving gears to allow shifting of gears ... pulling the engine throttle back usually slows the tractor itself ... granted the brake is there for helping in that issue . As usual keep us up-dated ..Boobala