22 Year Old MTD Mower Advanced Maintenance Tips

clm3s

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been given a 22 year old MTD Yard Machines mower that in my opinion runs great. I've changed the air filter and spark plug without any issues and it still runs great. However, I have no idea when it was last maintenced beyond that.

With a mower that old, should the normal maintence steps be followed, or could performing maintenance on the mower potentially cause more issues? For instance, I'd like to completely change the oil in the mower. Are there any 'gotchas' for a mower this old?

What about the oil and crud build up on the engine. Should I clean that off or does it matter?

Any other advanced maintenance tips anyone have for a running mower this old?

It runs so nice for its age, I don't want to make it worse by over doing it.

Thanks in advance!

Mower: MTD-Yard Machines, Select Series, 21", walk behind/push, Briggs and Stratton 12 cubic inch engine (5 HP?), manufactured in 1995.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go ahead and change the oil. Cleaning the crud may allow it to run about a half degree cooler but more importantly be certain there is no mouse nest built into the air flow cooling system.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Very Cool, I have a 10.5 year old MTD Yard Machine 22" (Yes 22 incher) Walk behind mower w/ Briggs 5 hp Flathead I bought it new, never skips a beat.

Service every year, Oil drains from under deck, takes 20 oz of (insert your fav oil brand here) but I use 30W Castrol HD. Still on the OE Blade as well.

The wheels are plastic on mine & rather than replace them when they got wobbly, I simply bored them out for a bronze bushing & greased them. Better than New.

I totally agree with SeniorCitizen to clean off the oil & debris, mine seems to like to accumulate clippings behind the carb side tin, between the cooling fins.

Great lil push mow.