Oil filter on model 74376 w/FR691 IV engine

biddergirl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have a 2010 toro 74376 with a 24hp Kawasaki engine, that I have owned for about one year. My question is they specify a Kawasaki oil filter 49065-7007.
However, when I removed it, it had a Stens filter 120-634, which I crossed reference to a 49065-2010 Kawasaki filter. My question is why is the 7007 filter
larger than the 7010. I noticed the 7010 filter fit exactly in the area its supposed to, but the 7007 is a little wider where it fits on the engine block. When I installed the 7007, I ran the engine for about 10 minutes and there was no sign of leakage. Why would Toro give a filter number that does not fit perfectly?
Evidently, the previous owner had noticed the difference and went to a filter that fit properly.

Any ideas? Cathy

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't try and over think it.
It is only a lawnmower.
All that is really important is the thread size, filter mesh size & the bypass pressure.
There are 72 different mower engine oil filters & I have culled that down to 11
Of that 11 the only difference in a lot of them is the actual dimensions of the canister.
Different sized canisters can get specified because the regular ones are impossible to change once the engine is installed.
The short B &S filter being the perfect example.
Came into being because the hood fouled on the long ones when fitted to large capacity singles.
Then the hoof shape changed slightly so it became redundant.