How to avoid leaving divots?

TXDDAVIS

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new to the commercial mowing game. But we landed a nice municipal contract mowing medians. I have managed to learn a lot really quick. But one thing that no matter how i do it when conditions have been rainy i leave divots when i turn. I know the first answer will be dont mow when its wet but thats not an option. there is more to mow than time in the day. Any suggestiond please. im on a Kubota by the way

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Enjoyed the informative video, I'm NOT trying to create controversy but won't your mowing pattern dictate the radius of your turns also..?? Everybody has their own way of cutting a yard, I was taught to follow this pattern but as we know, not all yards are football fields without trees and other obstructions to go around .

..........CUT PATTERN.JPG

since I personally do NOT have a Z-T , I don't know if this type of pattern would be helpful or not , Ya'll stay safe !! ..:thumbsup:

TXDDAVIS

Forum Newbie
Threads

hey i appreciate the video. I had searched you tube but did not find anything. I had started 3 point turning just out of desperation haha. i didnt want to leave any more divots. I did not know that was how it was supposed to be done.Thanks again....
im new to the site, and i see a lot of useful info. Glad I found this. I have a feeling I will be needing all the help I can get.

TXDDAVIS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Enjoyed the informative video, I'm NOT trying to create controversy but won't your mowing pattern dictate the radius of your turns also..?? Everybody has their own way of cutting a yard, I was taught to follow this pattern but as we know, not all yards are football fields without trees and other obstructions to go around .

..........View attachment 31316

since I personally do NOT have a Z-T , I don't know if this type of pattern would be helpful or not , Ya'll stay safe !! ..:thumbsup:

as to this most of our medians dont have enough room to do many pattern. lots of trees and flower beds too. so my best best is just to be as carful as we can when we turn

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The important thing is to keep both wheels turning all the time, even if it is really slow.
When you do 3 point turns, come to a full stop, and wait a second or two before you move off so you don't end up with one wheel turning the opposite way that the mower is travelling.

sidemouse

Threads
I am new to the commercial mowing game. But we landed a nice municipal contract mowing medians. I have managed to learn a lot really quick. But one thing that no matter how i do it when conditions have been rainy i leave divots when i turn. I know the first answer will be dont mow when its wet but thats not an option. there is more to mow than time in the day. Any suggestiond please. im on a Kubota by the way

Takes practice, lots of practice and even then it's not always avoidable.
I am assuming this Kubota is a Zero Turn and not a walk behind, although both can present their own challenge.

The reason why Z's are best used for bigger yards is the turns are a killer, always have been, they tear up turf and eat time.
Maybe use a walk-behind or a push mower on the smaller yards.

So, either take the turn off turf where possible...
Of course pavement really wears the tires plus it can leave marks, but guaranteed no turf torn up.
My favorite are wooded or rough areas just off the turf, another is to find the inconspicuous areas where to turn.
Make a wider turn...
And make sure both tires are always turning.
Either take a wide turn making sure the inside tire turns slowly, or make sure to keep one tire going forward and the other backwards (neither is as easy as it sounds).

ingigo

Threads
As a pilot landing on small runways and grass ones, I beg you mow one way. I mow parallel to the main runway opposite ways, cut the PTO power on the turns. Do as much as you can perfectly parallel to the runway. On the grass runway...if there is one, mow straight down, turn off blades and repeat the same one way stretch. Pilots will thank you.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
As a pilot landing on small runways and grass ones, I beg you mow one way. I mow parallel to the main runway opposite ways, cut the PTO power on the turns. Do as much as you can perfectly parallel to the runway. On the grass runway...if there is one, mow straight down, turn off blades and repeat the same one way stretch. Pilots will thank you.

Your method takes to much time. Also creates more clutch wear. We are talking about yards not runways.