Need mower size advice

JFS811

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,

I am new to this forum and will be needing advice on Lawn Tractors in the future. I am in the process of buying a new home and will need to cut about a 1/2 acre of grass. The land is slopped pretty good plus the front yard has a step up hill climb to the drive way. My question is how much horsepower is necessary to carry my up the slop and not stress the tractor. I have been looking at 22hp Cub Cadet with a 46 inch deck. Would that suffice. Also I am about 6ft tall and 250lbs

deminin

Threads
Hey all,

I am new to this forum and will be needing advice on Lawn Tractors in the future. I am in the process of buying a new home and will need to cut about a 1/2 acre of grass. The land is slopped pretty good plus the front yard has a step up hill climb to the drive way. My question is how much horsepower is necessary to carry my up the slop and not stress the tractor. I have been looking at 22hp Cub Cadet with a 46 inch deck. Would that suffice. Also I am about 6ft tall and 250lbs

Before you buy a Cub Cadet, check on the problems so many seem to have with the belt.....I have a neighbor who has this happen to him at least once or twice every Summer.

https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/cub-cadet-c204979.html

You might look at the Husqvarna before you buy. Lowe's sells a 24 HP, 48" cut for right at $2000. I have one, and it will climb a steep grade without any problems.

Jack17

Threads
My grandpa used to cut 1/2 acre with his scythe ones a week...lived to be 88. Anyway, anything geared or hydro-static should be plenty good. I'd prefer single cylinder vs. V-twin engine. Just stay away from CVT's or disk drives.