Brand new John Deere D170 will not start.

Mike Gall

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lowes just delivered a brand new John Deere D170 lawn tractor. It cranks but will not start. I read the manual thoroughly and am sure that I have the proper gas and oil levels. I checked the bypass rod and it is pushed firmly in to operating position. I sat firmly in the driver's seat. I set and locked the brake. It cranks with vigor, but will not start with throttle set all the way to choke. Any suggestions?

NorthBama

Threads
I wouldn't work on it because it is under warranty. The sad part is Lowes only sells they do not work on mowers. It will go to a shop and sit in line for who knows how long. Just saying if you had purchased it from a dealer they would send someone out to you.

Jack17

Threads
One would hope that Lowe's will start it up before delivering it. Anyway, open an air filter box and check cartridge. It could still have the plastic wrap over it? While you at it pour a shot glass of gasoline down the carb intake see if that fires it up? Also, sometimes fuel pump needs to be primed before the first run.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lowes should give you another mower if that one doesn't run unless you bought it as is. That is the advantage of buying from the big box stores.

Jack17

Threads
Lowes should give you another mower if that one doesn't run unless you bought it as is. That is the advantage of buying from the big box stores.

You are so right!!! I'm both blessed and spoiled in the same time having two (2) "good size" dealers within 1 1/2 mile from where I'm at. Both Arlington Power and Halloran are top notch service, parts and sales...good and honest people to deal with...never had a need or desire to even look at what the "big box" had to offer...would my comment be consider a shame-less plug? I guess it would!!! :laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sit on the mower, instructions in hand and turn every switch on the off making sure you know which way is on & off.
The one that catches everyone out is leaving the blades turned on but usually that is a fail to crank situation.
If that does not work, check the spark plug & cap.
Down here things like mowers oft have a spacer between the plug & the cap so if some clown cranks / pulls the starter it can not start up.

Then you get menelovent little buggers who will remove the plug on floor models and tap the electrode gap closed.

After that is is ring Lowes ask for a replacement or you money back and is they give you greif tell them the next morning ou are gong to ring the credit card company & get the transaction reversed because the mower does not go.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check your fuel shut off valve.

Gregory1950

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lowes just delivered a brand new John Deere D170 lawn tractor. It cranks but will not start. I read the manual thoroughly and am sure that I have the proper gas and oil levels. I checked the bypass rod and it is pushed firmly in to operating position. I sat firmly in the driver's seat. I set and locked the brake. It cranks with vigor, but will not start with throttle set all the way to choke. Any suggestions?[/

Less than 30 days old take it back to LOWES..

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check your fuel shut off valve.

If it has one, this would be the FIRST thing I'd check.

But if that doesn't fix it, I wouldn't touch a thing on a brand new mower--tell them to come and get it and bring you one that runs.

Threads
Lowes just delivered a brand new John Deere D170 lawn tractor. It cranks but will not start. I read the manual thoroughly and am sure that I have the proper gas and oil levels. I checked the bypass rod and it is pushed firmly in to operating position. I sat firmly in the driver's seat. I set and locked the brake. It cranks with vigor, but will not start with throttle set all the way to choke. Any suggestions?[/

Less than 30 days old take it back to LOWES..

I'm pretty sure it's been over 30 days now since it's almost a 2 year old thread........