Deck ride designs. Ground contact or suspended.

lilguy

Threads
What is the general consensus on the preferd mower deck design. There are decks that roll on the ground being pulled,
following the contour of the turf closely.
There is also the suspended decks that hang just above the surface you are cutting. Using the foot print of the tires
as its guide. What is the preferred design
Of other professionals here? Seems you would get a different cut depending on terrain. Thanks all.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
You are asking a question for which there is no reply unless you provide a lot more details.
Type of terrain , slope, level , roughness

Type of material to be cut, clumping grass. running grass, very fine leaved grass tough tall grass.

Size of the deck you are using. Bigger decks tend to swing in corners and scalp the inside of the cut, smaller ones don't

Size of the area to be mowed

Type of machine to power the deck.

These all make a big difference

lilguy

Threads
I have 3 acres with lots trees and it's beautiful but no golf course. I have mowed it since 1985 with a, at first, L2250 gear unit followed soon be a B8200 HST. Both contact decks, both deck replaced once in the 30+ years owned. The decks take a pounding, so I want that which will take abuse the best long term.
Many trees, undulating surfaces and extreme hill in one area. 1/4 mile straight raised drive way with angled sides that I have to hang on tight when cutting.

lewb

Threads
I believe the only deck design on a powered rotary mower (blade) is a walker where you adjust height by moving the 4 gauge wheels on the 4 corners of the deck. The rest of the designs, the deck is suspended where you just have to move one lever to adjust height. There may be other OEM's that have a similar deck but I am only aware of Walker.