Engine sputtering and blowing white smoke

bdbull

Forum Newbie
Threads
Husqvarna YTH2348 with Briggs and Stratton 23HP engine model number 445577

There are several things that cause the mower to sputter, lose power, and blow white smoke: throttling up too quickly, turning the blades on at high throttle, throttling up too high when the blades are on. Any of these things will cause the motor to sputter, lose power, and blow white smoke. The rumbling sounds very much like a Harley. Once this starts, I have to throttle all the way down until the motor calms down. Then I'm able run it normally until it starts again.

I've taken the carb apart, cleaned it, and replaced the O-ring that was completely out of shape and flat. I truly thought the new O-ring would fix it, but it still does it. I've also changed the oil and put in fresh ethanol free gas.

I can only turn the blades on at the lowest throttle and haven't been able to cut grass yet.

Here is a video of it sputtering and blowing smoke: https://goo.gl/photos/Jv43wW1QSPhD6wdS8

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually those symptoms reveal a blown head gasket.
Start the mower and let it warm up then turn it off.
When the engine has stopped turning remove the dip stick.
If you get smoke signals from the tube they are saying "replace the head gasket "

bdbull

Forum Newbie
Threads
Usually those symptoms reveal a blown head gasket.
Start the mower and let it warm up then turn it off.
When the engine has stopped turning remove the dip stick.
If you get smoke signals from the tube they are saying "replace the head gasket "

I'm assuming you're talking about the oil dip stick?

Jack17

Threads
I'm assuming you're talking about the oil dip stick?

Rectal thermometer would be my second guessing! :laughing: Too funny!

bdbull

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to comment now that the mower has been fixed. I ended up taking it to a small engine shop and they replaced the carburetor. I guess it was just too old and worn out and needed to be replaced. I ran it this weekend and it ran like a champ. Took me too long to cut my yard so now I'm considering a zero turn, but it ran like a champ nonetheless.