LTX1050 Drive Noise

cruzenmike

Threads
Hello all. I need help solving a problem. When I press the drive pedal on my LTX1050, it makes an obnoxious noise from beneath the middle of the machine. The noise only occurs right before the machine starts moving. Once the machine is in motion, the noise goes away. It is hard to explain the noise itself, but I would call it a maon rather than a whine. It isn't the hydrostatic from what I can tell, because that sound I can hear from the rear when I am moving. I believe this issue to be the result of some bad idlers under the machine. There are two v-belt idlers and one flat idler on the bottom of the floor pan. One of the pulleys has some play (slight wobble) and one of the others makes a sound when spun by hand. Only one of them is smooth and quiet. I was hoping that someone either knew of this issue or fixed this issue before and can point me in the right direction? Help is appreciated. Thank you.

Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Change the pulleys pure & simple.
If it does not spin free & silent it is stuffed and will most likely stuff the belts as well if they have not done so already.

cruzenmike

Threads
Change the pulleys pure & simple.
If it does not spin free & silent it is stuffed and will most likely stuff the belts as well if they have not done so already.

I guess I will change the idlers this week. I do also have a new drive belt, but unfortunately I cannot break the drive pulley free from the engine's crankshaft to change it. I tried penetrating lubricant but it just wouldn't budge. The current belt appears to be fine for the time being. I really am hoping that it is the wobbly idler that is causing the noise. I just keep running into issue after issue with this machine and I haven't even made it a full mowing season with it yet!

cruzenmike

Threads
Well, after a very complicated teardown to replace the three pulleys beneath the floorpan for the drive belt, I have discovered that the noise is in fact coming from the rear end (hydrostatic). Like I said before, it is a moaning sound. it does not do it each and every time I press the pedal down, but it is most noticeable when I accelerate for the first time after it sitting for a period of time. I am now thinking that I might have some air in the transaxle, or maybe the fluid is just low. I am going to have to get under there and check the level if i can. Does anyone have any ideas on what would be making this moaning noise from back there, that doesn't do it every time? Thanks.

Mike

cruzenmike

Threads
I just wanted to provide another update. I was looking at the service manual for my Hydro-Gear unit and they have an entire section in "noisy unit." Besides what I stated earlier regarding the possibility of air in the system, it appears that there may be some issues with the brake. Every time I start the unit and then release the brake just to then press the accelerator, that is the moment I have the issue. It seems that after a couple of presses of the pedal in either direction, the problem goes away. It seems that this would only make sense seeing as the moment when the noise stops is when the unit start moving forward, which happens to be half way down on the accelerator. Now, I have yet to confirm this, but it seems to be the most logical explanation at this point. I am very thankful that the manufacturer of the transmission put together such a comprehensive manual to point me towards a possible resolution.