Honda HRX217HYA rotostop blade clutch popping out of gear

Sparkland

Threads
  • / Honda HRX217HYA rotostop blade clutch popping out of gear
HRX217HYA lever lock disengages from roto-stop cable arm when blades are engaged

When I depress the "yellow" button (13) on the handle and move the handle (12) forward to engage the blade, sometimes the lever lock (14) abruptly releases causing the blade to quit turning. It seems to pop off the roto-stop cable arm (11) when moving forward the handle and yellow button.

I have not even used this mower yet as I bought it used this winter, so I am wondering if there is an adjustment I can make on the linkage to this part to alleviate the problem. Our 14 year-old HRX was just beginning to experience this problem. I would not think a 1-year old Honda mower would be having this problem.

Thank you in advance, Brad

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: HRX217HYA lever lock disengages from roto-stop cable arm when blades are engaged

When I depress the "yellow" button (13) on the handle and move the handle (12) forward to engage the blade, sometimes the lever lock (14) abruptly releases causing the blade to quit turning. It seems to pop off the roto-stop cable arm (11) when moving forward the handle and yellow button.

I have not even used this mower yet as I bought it used this winter, so I am wondering if there is an adjustment I can make on the linkage to this part to alleviate the problem. Our 14 year-old HRX was just beginning to experience this problem. I would not think a 1-year old Honda mower would be having this problem.

Thank you in advance, Brad

With a one-year-old mower, a defect as you describe would be covered under warranty. You can obtain warranty service at any Honda dealer, and it does not need to be the same location as purchased. Use this link to find a dealer near you location:

Find A Honda Dealer

FYI, Honda did publish a Service Bulletin back in 2009 to address this issue, although I doubt your new model has the same problem. The fix at that time was to slightly bend (1 mm) the yellow Roto-Stop button contact surface. A spec change was applied to production units after serial number MAGA-1605306. Drop me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy of the bulletin for reference.

trc1039

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am also having the same problem. My mower was bran new about 4 years ago. This yellow button popping out (disengaging started last summer) and it is just a real nuisance. I have looked online for a solution, but to no avail. I live in a small town which had a repair shop that handled Honda mowers, but they started going out of business about the time this problem started occurring. Any help would certainly be much appreciated. Thank you very much. I have the HRX217HYA.

eomckamey

Threads
Same problem...on a Honda Commercial mower, Model HRC216K3HXA, Serial #MAKA-11298374, Engine 16100-ZiV-801. Mower was purchased new in 2017 and has worked fine until recently...when sometimes the yellow lever lock button (14) abruptly releases... causing the blade to quit turning. It seems to pop off the roto-stop cable arm (11) when moving forward the handle and yellow button. Honda manual says free play of the "Blade Control Lever Adjustment"...is 3/4" - 1". Mine is at 3/4" free play now. I have carefully lubricated (with Dri-Slide Moly), related surfaces....Problem still remains. Note: I also have a 2007 Honda Commercial mower that has no problem with this popping out of gear....and that mower likewise, has 3/4" free play in it's blade control lever adjustment.

Wondering if "Robert@Honda" might have some clarification....or further thoughts rel. playing around more with the blade control lever adjustment....free play....moving to 1" versus 3/4" on the newer 2017 (subject mower)?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Neighbor down the street had the same issue. Honda mower tech couldn't fix it. Neighbor pushed it to the curb.

slomo

eomckamey

Threads
Guess I still believe that somewhere out there that someone talented/knowledgable enough.....will comprehend and know of or develop a solution.
Ed M.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Guess I still believe that somewhere out there that someone talented/knowledgable enough.....will comprehend and know of or develop a solution.
Ed M.
A cable tie
or for the deluxe version, a velcro strap .

eomckamey

Threads
It is quite evident that the last individual... who commented (on my original inquiry) doesn't really know sickum about the specific problem.
If I needed inapplicable humor,, I would try elsewhere for such responses.
Enough said ....Pls.spare me further responses unless you know what you are talking about.

Ed M.

eomckamey

Threads
"Honda did publish a Service Bulletin back in 2009 to address this issue, although I doubt your new model has the same problem. The fix at that time was to slightly bend (1 mm) the yellow Roto-Stop button contact surface. A spec change was applied to production units after serial number MAGA-1605306."

Could someone please provide me a copy of the above referenced Honda Service Bulletin (2009)....rel. this situation?