Scotts 42589X8 16hp 42" Kohler Engine

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bend the mounting bracket back into alignment or buy a new part and replace. Also, your belt keeper is not on correctly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The tensioning arm pivots on a boss.
Because it moves a small amount at lot the hole wears oval.
This allows the tensioning arm to flop down like yours does.
So it is either replace the arm and bush or weld up the hole & make it round again.
Grease with DRY lithium chassis grease and keep the area clean bu blowing with air.

Also as mentioned previously the belt keeper is in the wrong place loosen the nut and swing it back into position behind the belt where the belt touches the pulley,

JT1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys, I am finally getting back to this.

I think I have the mounting bracket bent back into position, but the belt pops off the belt keeper. And it is worse, as some metal part is in harsh contact with the belt when it is under tension (see photos; I added three more).

I presume the belt keeper, as you have said, is out of alignment.
Do I have to remove the deck to reposition the belt keeper? OR can I do it by reaching in? And where is the bolt for that?

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 5

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The deck is actually a Murray deck and should have the belt routed like this
IMG_1261.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks guys, I am finally getting back to this.

I think I have the mounting bracket bent back into position, but the belt pops off the belt keeper. And it is worse, as some metal part is in harsh contact with the belt when it is under tension (see photos; I added three more).

I presume the belt keeper, as you have said, is out of alignment.
Do I have to remove the deck to reposition the belt keeper? OR can I do it by reaching in? And where is the bolt for that?

I think the idler pulley that you have pictured on there actually belongs on the other belt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think the idler pulley that you have pictured on there actually belongs on the other belt.

No Blaz, it has a Murray deck fitted.
We were both expecting to see a JD deck with 2 idlers and the belt routed as a T thus we both thought the keeper was in the wrong position when in fact it was in the right position and the belt was in the wrong position.
He has a 3 pulley deck so the belt so routed in an L fashion.
Now I was sure that the Scotts branded mowers came out of the AYP factory same as the 100 series but that is definately a Murray deck.
Got 4 of them in the yard at the moment.
Checked the Murray master manual and here it is View attachment Scotts deck .pdf
So a quick check of the Murray paint codes and sure enough Scotts Green & Scotts Orange are both listed.
Thus it looks like this Scotts came out of the Murray factory.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
No Blaz, it has a Murray deck fitted.
We were both expecting to see a JD deck with 2 idlers and the belt routed as a T thus we both thought the keeper was in the wrong position when in fact it was in the right position and the belt was in the wrong position.
He has a 3 pulley deck so the belt so routed in an L fashion.
Now I was sure that the Scotts branded mowers came out of the AYP factory same as the 100 series but that is definately a Murray deck.
Got 4 of them in the yard at the moment.
Checked the Murray master manual and here it isView attachment 37824
So a quick check of the Murray paint codes and sure enough Scotts Green & Scotts Orange are both listed.
Thus it looks like this Scotts came out of the Murray factory.

Wow. It makes a lot of since now! Thanks for the pdf.

JT1

Forum Newbie
Threads
The deck is actually a Murray deck and should have the belt routed like this
View attachment 37810

YES! I was belt dyslexic. I put it on correctly, and all was great.
The spring that comes down from the lever can connect either over or under the belt. When I attached it above the belt, it touched the belt and even pushed down on it. Running the spring under the belt did not have that issue. Is this correct, that the belt is below the spring?

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The spring goes under the belt.
When the belt is stretched tight to drive the blades it lifts up a bit.
Also despite the parts diagram showing the spring fitted long side to the deck, short side to lever, I find they work much better the other way around.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
It looks like the flat bracket is bent up a little. I would bend it down and put the spring on like Burt said.