Safety switches

walmel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone have a troubleshooting strategy for, safety interlocking switches ( pto, clutch, neutral) on riding mowers?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF.
You will need to know basic things about the circuit you are checking ... most 'safety' switches are normally closed, and function by opening the circuit...
Some switches are a multi function switch, like a PTO switch, it has both a normally closed and a normally open part... allows the starter to operate only when the PTO is OFF...
Some systems use relays, some have low oil, over temp or operator present switching...
So the biggest help in trouble shooting, is a good understanding of how the circuit is suppose to function..
:smile:KennyV

walmel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, Ken. I kind of understand how the switches work. I guess I'm looking for a way to test the switches or circuit with a meter or power probe to isolate the switch that is defective.

CJH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get your model & serial number & go to Toro's site:

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

There is likely an electrical diagram available that will give you the type of switch (normally open or normally closed). The entire circuit can be tricky to figure out.

For example here's my old tractor's schematic found on partstree.com, you can probably find yours there as well (same as the Toro site's diagram):

Parts and Diagrams for Toro Consumer 22-14OE01, 244-H Yard Tractor, 1991 (SN 1000001-1999999)

Once you determine the type of switch, disconnect the wires & check the operation with a multimeter. Be sure that he limit switches are actuating properly, if the lever arm is bent, or misaligned, it might not actuate when the linkage that it is sensing, is moved (gear selector for example).

Check wiring for continuity between the various switches, a broken wire inside a wiring loom can be a headscratcher.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
check for continuity as you flick them on and off..thats it:wink: