Only Runs With Choke On

graycenphil

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Lawn Chief, 12 HP. Has always run beautifully. Last week, I hit a root, the engine stalled and the tractor stopped. It wouldn't restart right away, so I tried putting on the choke and it started right up. But now it only runs with the choke on, and power is way down. It still starts up great, hot or cold.

Mechanically the choke operates fine. I would guess that something is clogging the jet in the carb? Could this possibly have happened from the bump? Was it just a coincidence? Anything I should try before I take off the carb and try to clean it out? Can I clean it while it is on the engine?

Thanks.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
Not sure what engine or carburetor you have but your likely right something is amiss with it...
If it is the type with a bowl you can remove it, carefully, to clean it out and check the main jet & float ...
Post back with the engine make and I can give you a link to the removal and dis assembly of the carb... :smile:KennyV

graycenphil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the quick response. It is a Briggs 12 HP. I can't see a make or model number on the carb. The bowl appears to be removable, with a nut on the bottom.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You could just remove the bolt, (main jet), at the bottom of the bowl, without removing the carb... BUT it is actually easier to remove the carb and clean everything as shown at this link... Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety
Scroll down until you see your "Briggs" carb... and follow the directions.
IR you can take a reference picture of your linkage, to help with reassembly.... :smile:KennyV

graycenphil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again. The pictures on the link are great.

Do you think it was just a weird coincidence, or did the bump knock something loose? I must have hit a million bumps over the years and never had a problem...

Really appreciate the quick answers. Great forum.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good having you here ...

Sometimes circumstances are just right, and some build up could have knocked loose.. A quick disassembly and cleaning will tell... :smile:KennyV

graycenphil

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is no filter, but I think I will add one. Perhaps that would have prevented this problem.

Thanks.