Duraforce 3 speed transmission change

viperv10

Threads
Hi guys, I was wandering if anyone out there could tell me how to get the 3 speed transmission out of a model 10547 gold pro mower? I ordered a new one on ebay. It doesn't look like it will just snap out of the bottom of the deck. I'm thinking the wheel assemblies would have to be taken off and all the spacers and rocking keys and then drive the axle out but i'm not sure. I'm no mechanic. Also, on a duraforce, should the blade be parallel with the piston at TDC or perpendicular? Thanks for any info on these matters.
Jerry

jp1961

Threads
Hi Jerry,

The transmission is held on with bolts from underneath the deck. The heads of the bolts may be hidden by matted grass.

My 10323 (which I've never removed the blade driver) appear to be 90 degrees at TDC. No info on the Duraforce is given in the repair manual. The Lawn-Boy mechanics handbook does show the orientation of the blade to TDC, depending on engine type.

Regards

Jeff

viperv10

Threads
Thanks Jeff for the reply. I finally got it figured out. Some model axles might be held in by bolts but mine is different. I had to take off the wheel and all the little parts on the shaft on the short side and then slide it out towards the other end. I got the new one put in last night late. The tricky part was to keep all the washers and clips in the right order. This was a new experience for me. I also fixed the surging problem by cleaning the carb and putting a Briggs and Stratton carb jet in the side of the carb. Also drilled a little bigger hole in the throttle plate butterfly and put a new bottom crank seal in. I had to get me a new good set of snap ring pliers. The tips on my old ones just were not strong enough to get that big snap ring off the bottom. The bottom pulley wouldn't come off even after heating it. It broke when I tried using a puller on it. It was like it had been welded on. Finally had friend cut if off with a cutting wheel.
I'm fairly new to working on lawn boys but I sure have learned a lot from you guys on this forum.
Thanks again
Jerry