60" deck differences

lilguy

Threads
My turf is not a football field. It's uneven, rolling and hilly in areas. 1/4 mile long driveway with culverts along it that have steep angles, with many trees on the property. Approx 3 acres.
I have used floating/ground contact decks for 45 years with great results and have no experience with suspended decks. It appears most Kubotas use suspended decks now. If spending upwards of 30 grand for a setup I want to make sure I understand the results I can expect.
My 2 1985 Kubotas have floating decks, the new B2601 we are about to get has a suspended 60 inch deck, I am having second thoughts about how it will cut. I have no experience with suspended decks, would appreciate input about my concerns.

Last edited:

sidemouse

Threads
Unfortunately that's a tractor, not a lawn mower...
It offers the mowing deck as an attachment, so it may or may not work the way a regular lawn mower would.
On a lawn mower, a floating deck usually hangs from the frame via chains...
I still don't understand the difference between that and 'suspended.'

lilguy

Threads
I have 2 tractors with MMM decks that ride on the ground, on wheels being pulled along by the tractor. It rides the contoured of the turf as it moves. I call this a ground contact/floating deck. Heavy duty wheels that carry the weight of the deck while mowing. Then there are suspended decks, they hang from a secure bracket just off the turf, their Light duty gauge wheels are only used to reduce scalping.
They ride hanging just above the turf at what ever height you set.