Price of OIL

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Went to buy oil last week , and got to thinkin.... WHY ??? is it that when the price of gas goes up ...... the price of oil
(and related products) follows .... but when the price of gas goes down ......oil remains at the high rate it was priced at
during the increased gas prices...obviousily ... at certain times ... it's cheaper to refine the oil also ...or so I would think !!
I can appreciate the retail stores MIGHT have a problem with price changes with the market ... but it seems they handle
everything else pretty well . I remember a few years back, ... oil was AROUND a DOLLAR a QUART ! and these days a good brand name is well over two dollars a quart and closer to three ... I'm thinkin in cynical mode .. GREED !!....Boobala ..:confused2:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
4.50$ for a liter (almost a quart) down here in Canada for the cheapest oil (Certified). If you want Castrol or something similar it's around 7-10$.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wages and income raises along with oil, grocery's and whatever. Just a fact of life. Now they are talking about rising the minimum wage so what do you think will this will do with the price of everything else including oil. I am paying over 12 dollars a quart for synthetic oil. My very first real job I was making 60 dollars a week repairing home appliances and got by just fine.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wages and income raises along with oil, grocery's and whatever. Just a fact of life. Now they are talking about rising the minimum wage so what do you think will this will do with the price of everything else including oil. I am paying over 12 dollars a quart for synthetic oil. My very first real job I was making 60 dollars a week repairing home appliances and got by just fine.

Problem is ... the middle and lower income wages have NOT kept pace with consumables price increases !!
The price of goods and services wipe out the usual small increase of wages. ...Boobala ..:2cents:..:thumbdown:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Problem is ... the middle and lower income wages have NOT kept pace with consumables price increases !!
The price of goods and services wipe out the usual small increase of wages. ...Boobala ..:2cents:..:thumbdown:

I know all about it being retired and drawing a SS check. I am thankful I put some money aside in my younger years because I just can't picture anybody living off social security benefits alone. Its only going to get worst as the cost of living going up and no pay increases in social security. This is the reason I keep telling my children and grand kids start saving for your older years now. What is a quart of oil going to cost in another ten + year from now??

cruzenmike

Threads
I have only been maintaining cars and lawn equipment for about 15 years or so, but I do not recall a time when quality oil was less than $4 a quart. But again, I am one of those odd people that only used OEM oil for my cars and equipment. I don't mind using Dexos 1 in the car or Genuine Honda or Briggs oil in my lawn equipment. The Ducati dealer would use Redline in my GT1000 which was upwards of $10 a quart. By no means was this necessary, but never having an issues and only smooth running engines, I continue on this path...

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have only been maintaining cars and lawn equipment for about 15 years or so, but I do not recall a time when quality oil was less than $4 a quart. But again, I am one of those odd people that only used OEM oil for my cars and equipment. I don't mind using Dexos 1 in the car or Genuine Honda or Briggs oil in my lawn equipment. The Ducati dealer would use Redline in my GT1000 which was upwards of $10 a quart. By no means was this necessary, but never having an issues and only smooth running engines, I continue on this path...

In case you haven't heard ... there's a place called ..WALMART .. they sell QUALITY oil cheap !!
I buy the 5 QUART container of Mobil 1- FULL SYNTHETIC for my cars at around $22.00 --$25.00 , and I buy a
SYNTHETIC BLEND for my mowers and other items at about $17.00--$20.00 for 5 quarts .. If you lived on a S.S, check like some of us poor #@%&@## .....you would learn to become FRUGAL in a quick way ..Some of us " have it "and some of us don't !!
If you were paying $ 4.00 a Quart 15 years ago and since .. someone .. had their arm down your throat and was
ripping your lungs and wallet out !! .. Boobala ...:2cents:

Lawn Addict
Threads
In case you haven't heard ... there's a place called ..WALMART .. they sell QUALITY oil cheap !!
I buy the 5 QUART container of Mobil 1- FULL SYNTHETIC for my cars at around $22.00 --$25.00

Boobala ...:2cents:

Yep, same here, or when the Auto Parts store runs oil change specials. Then I stock up.

deminin

Threads
5 or 6 years ago....when crude oil was pushing $100 a barrel, I was buying Pennzoil 10w30 at Walmart for about $11 for a 5 qt. jug. Now that crude prices are hovering around $50/barrel, the price for that same 5qt. jug is about $17. I guess the oil companies figure that they will get into our wallets, one way or another.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
We are talking about changing oil on a lawn mower. 1/2 to 2 quarts of oil once a year depending on what you own. I just don't see the reason to scrimp on the price of oil. That is the reason I buy the best, Amsoil at 12 dollars a quart. No one agrees on oil so this is just my opinion.