Price of OIL

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
We are talking about changing oil on a lawn mower. 1/2 to 2 quarts of oil once a year depending on what you own. I just don't see the reason to scrimp on the price of oil. That is the reason I buy the best, Amsoil at 12 dollars a quart. No one agrees on oil so this is just my opinion.

Ran across this the other day ...... ( was on a site I follow,.. ( How to Geek ) )

OIL CHANGE..JPG

So I guess YOU agree with prices like this for an oil change & service ... ??? No matter the price of THAT car !

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ran across this the other day ...... ( was on a site I follow,.. ( How to Geek ) )

View attachment 31291

So I guess YOU agree with prices like this for an oil change & service ... ??? No matter the price of THAT car !

If you can afford a 1/2+ million dollar car I say go for it. This is way beyond me. As I said I need my SS check to live on and drive a 16 year old car with 200,000 miles on it. I do use the Amsoil but go on the 25,000 mile oil change which is recommended for that oil. So a 60 dollar isn't that bad for that many miles. I buy used parts from the pick an pull salvage yard for most of my repairs. The last time I got it state inspected I was told the frame was rusted out so I have been looking at used cars. If the used cars I have been looking at has less then 100,000 miles its nothing I can afford.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
We are talking about changing oil on a lawn mower. 1/2 to 2 quarts of oil once a year depending on what you own. I just don't see the reason to scrimp on the price of oil. That is the reason I buy the best, Amsoil at 12 dollars a quart. No one agrees on oil so this is just my opinion.

reynoldston..
I'm not trying to be-little you .. I understand where you are coming from... I too live on a S.S. check ..with nothing else..
my wife is in the same boat.. we have an almost poverty level income and are scraping by .. I actually started this thread about why the price of oil and oil additives never drops ..when there is an abundance of oil , and the price for gasoline drops
why doesn't the price of oil on the shelf drop as well ..was it NOT refined at the same time .. and doesn't it cost more to refine oil into gas ..I would think oil would be cheaper... surely all the "magic" additives they put in it can't be that expensive
I use Mobil 1 in my cars ( supposed to be good for at least 15,000 mi. ) ---I change my oil FILTER every 2,500 mi. and I change my oil at every 5,000 mi. .. I re-use that oil in my chain-saws as bar oil ( works great too ) I give away to others in need of bar-oil .. I also add a half-quart of Lucas oil treatment when I change oil ... my Camry is a "98" model with 153,000 mi. + on it and has had nothing but but typical time change items, ... battery, shocks, a starter, a window motor, tires ( twice) and a radiator.. oops and the timing belt "package" NO COMPLAINTS the avg. 30 mpg is great for my purposes (4-cyl.) . In my mowers I change a synthetic blend yearly , so I apologize if I offended you , as you say we all have an opinion on oil .. I just want to know why its price doesn't go down like gas does !!

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Oil industry is the heart of my income. I agree prices are to high. I'm the first to btch about the prices. And while some make a good point. Some didn't. My mowers get 30w castrol oil. No way am I buying oil at 12+$ a quart 16$ a 5 quart jug at Sam's club. I don't care how good it is. In about a month my mowers will start accumulating hours quickly. I change oil every 2 weeks. 80 to 100 hours. It adds up fast. Also have 2 tractors with 6 ft cutters running 40 hours a week. At a 100 hours they get changed to. Rotella motor oil both hold 3 gallons. I spend a small fortune on oil in a season. But I'm charging a oil production company 80 hours a week at 60$:a hour for pipeline and location mowing.

BWH

Threads
10 years ago I had an oil distributor offer me 20 prepaid independent oil sample kits free when he found out we were looking to change oil brands on our fleet. He just wanted us to include his oil in the test which we did along with four other major brands. This turned out to be eye opening as we went through the different testing, we had one major brand that we had used for years then changed their process failed and was creating excessive engine wear at 60 hours. The rest would run varying hours over 100 consistently without abnormal wear, at that point these were all petroleum oils but since we have converted to synthetic and Para synthetic oils to stretch our hours out even more.

Now these were diesel truck engines but small engines would run somewhat parallel.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't care how good it is. In about a month my mowers will start accumulating hours quickly. I change oil every 2 weeks. 80 to 100 hours. It adds up fast. Also have 2 tractors with 6 ft cutters running 40 hours a week. .

That is a lot of hours in two weeks. The different between us I hate running a mower you must love it. I like the repair side of mowers. I might get 50 hours in a year on my mower and that is because my son in law uses it more then I do. This is why 12 dollars a quart for oil is no big thing for me. As I said earlier no one agrees on oil. Also being retired I am lucky if I spend 10 to 15 hours a week doing any work.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
That is a lot of hours in two weeks. The different between us I hate running a mower you must love it. I like the repair side of mowers. I might get 50 hours in a year on my mower and that is because my son in law uses it more then I do. This is why 12 dollars a quart for oil is no big thing for me. As I said earlier no one agrees on oil. Also being retired I am lucky if I spend 10 to 15 hours a week doing any work.

Nope not really lol. Its my job . We have about 125 yards and 4 cemeteries and I think 15 commercial accounts. I have 2 guys on tractors pulling 6' cutters that do nothing but bushhogging for a oil production company. I took on more work than I ever wanted to. When I took the oil field contracts I was going to sale the lawn business but lol I didn't. I need to learn to say enough is enough .

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
. I need to learn to say enough is enough .

You learn that when you retire and laying in the cardiac department in the hospital, I know from experience. I got a refresher course this pass winter when I was shoveling snow.

Sparkland

Threads
The same reason credit card issuers still have interest rates hovering in the low 20's when mortgage interest rates are in the high 3's. When mortgage rates were in the low teens in the 80's interest rates were probably still what we have today. Credit card rates never seem to drop no matter what.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I only put 19.7 hours on my Z last year, but we were in a drought.

Many credit cards are much lower, I dumped the one that had 20+% rate, now only carry cash back cards that benefit me a bit as well.