Snapper RER 28085S Restore

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great pics, this is going to be a really nice machine.. Boobala

mattm55

Threads
  1. Yoke Play: Upon putting the yoke back on I noticed that one of the holes on the case was out of round. Quite a bit of play for the nylon bushing. I should have seen this before but I missed it. So that will take some thinking on the best way to repair. I don't want to let it go as this will effect the drive disk to clutch effectiveness. I've gone this far... why not. My first idea is to round the hole out with a step drill and then tig weld a zinc washer in the hole and then grind and redrill to the correct size. Maybe another idea. One good thing is putting all the tools to use....
Matt

So the first image shows just how much the yoke attachment is out of round.
DSCN2781.jpg

My intentions were to Tig weld the hole up but then have to grind away the washers. I went with "Plan B" which was to take a sheet of (1/8") 0.125" steel and fabricate an angled yoke holder. I bent the steel 90 degrees and step drilled a 0.803" hole for the nylon bearing. I then turned a 0.125" thick nylon spacer for the extra width. The new bracket is attached by 2 5/16" bolts through the back. By doing the repair this way I figured I could always replace the angle if it gets worn over welding and keeping the stability of the original bracket for alignment and strength. I think it should work and take up the play.
DSCN2783.jpg

*Note: On the original yoke attachment where the bend is up from the back of the machine I had to grind/remove the ridge that kept the new bracket from being positioned right up against the original mount.
yokeReplacementFix.jpg

While the paint dries on the new yoke bracket, I continued putting the rear axle back in.
DSCN2786.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

mattm55

Threads
Just a few updates to the build...

• Rear Axle Boot: OK, mental note to not slather a ton of grease on the hex tube. If you do, or over do, make sure the ends of the boots stay clean. Otherwise you will have the boot want to slip off under extended travel. On, off, clean, rinse and repeat. I had one side just not cooperating!
  • Brake & Clutch Cables: I googled trying to find some diagrams of the connections and routing of each cable. Nothing gave a clear picture of how they are connected. Lucky I had the forethought to snap a few images on disassembly. Maybe not the complete route but enough to get it close. Here are the before pics on my model.

20170225_152311.jpg 20170225_152332.jpg
  • Front End: Working on installing the front end back on the machine with tie rods/king pins and steering. I'll post pics when this step is completed.

*One thing I did notice while searching the internet is that while my yoke mounts are cut out/bent from the main case as one piece, there are models where Snapper used a yoke mount bracket similar to my fix but all one piece (both sides). So if this happens again, I might look for that part #.

Thanks for watching

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looking great Matt,
waaaay back , I was repairing a Volvo marine outdrive.... fortuneatly for me, ... a fellow that had done this before .... had his wife ( a hobbyist photographer ) take pictures of EVERYTHING he did , with explicit close-ups on EVERYTHING . He loaned me those photos ( which shamed those in the FACTORY repair manuaI I was using )
needless to say it was a piece of cake for me. From that point on I always took pics of ALMOST everything I worked on but used a shoulder held camcorder in those days on a tripod.. finally digital cameras became affordable Amen ! And as they say the rest is history... slow me down ..??? a little ... but when I DID NEED a reference there
it was .... I save all my photos to thumb drives and keep them organized (usually) ..(LOL) I for one truly love to see the progress in pics ... keep em coming ..later my friend ...Boobala

mattm55

Threads
Looking great Matt,
waaaay back , I was repairing a Volvo marine outdrive.... fortuneatly for me, ... a fellow that had done this before .... had his wife ( a hobbyist photographer ) take pictures of EVERYTHING he did , with explicit close-ups on EVERYTHING . He loaned me those photos ( which shamed those in the FACTORY repair manuaI I was using )
needless to say it was a piece of cake for me. From that point on I always took pics of ALMOST everything I worked on but used a shoulder held camcorder in those days on a tripod.. finally digital cameras became affordable Amen ! And as they say the rest is history... slow me down ..??? a little ... but when I DID NEED a reference there
it was .... I save all my photos to thumb drives and keep them organized (usually) ..(LOL) I for one truly love to see the progress in pics ... keep em coming ..later my friend ...Boobala

Thanks for the kudos.

Yes, I have done quite a few projects with pics and videos found on the web. I appreciate all those who have done so before me and giving tips and tricks. That's why I taking a little extra time and posting here to maybe someday help someone after me.

Thanks, Matt

mattm55

Threads
Progress...
  1. Main Chassis:
    Things are going back together pretty smoothly. The Aux Brake cable I had to think about but with the images and some of the web's videos I did get it routed correctly.

chassis1.jpg

2. Engine Pre Mounting:
    SO for the engine, I needed to recheck to see if the mounting locations are the same. Otherwise I would either have to redrill or make a new mounting plate. It looks like the 11Hp Briggs and the Honda GXV390-DE have the same mounting holes and crankshaft location, as shown.

11HP Briggs
    11HpBriggs1.jpg

Briggs Mounting
    11HpBriggs2.jpg

Honda Mounting Check is the same as the Briggs. Great!
    hondaGxv390de1.jpg

Now I'll have to get some 5/16"x24 studs for the engine as two mounting holes are threaded. Stay tuned for more updates.
Matt

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Progress...
  1. Main Chassis:
    Things are going back together pretty smoothly. The Aux Brake cable I had to think about but with the images and some of the web's videos I did get it routed correctly.

View attachment 31573

2. Engine Pre Mounting:
    SO for the engine, I needed to recheck to see if the mounting locations are the same. Otherwise I would either have to redrill or make a new mounting plate. It looks like the 11Hp Briggs and the Honda GXV390-DE have the same mounting holes and crankshaft location, as shown.

11HP Briggs
    View attachment 31572

Briggs Mounting
    View attachment 31571

Honda Mounting Check is the same as the Briggs. Great!
    View attachment 31570

Now I'll have to get some 5/16"x24 studs for the engine as two mounting holes are threaded. Stay tuned for more updates.
Matt

Any issue with crank diameter or length ...?? LOOKING GOOD Matt !!

mattm55

Threads
Any issue with crank diameter or length ...?? LOOKING GOOD Matt !!

Yes, good call but I had checked that prior to buying the Honda.

Briggs and Stratton 28v707-113-E2
1"x3 5/32" shaft

Honda GVX390
1" x 3 5/32" shaft
7/16-20 tapped

Here are the specs.
Key Specs:

10.2hp GXV390
GX Series
Overhead Valve Design: Yes
Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeve: Yes
Mounting: Vertical
Electric Start: 12V Starter (with pull start)
Oil Capacity: 1.16 Qt w/o oil filter, 1.48 Qt with oil filter
Oil Type: Summer: 10W-30 Winter: 5W-30
Fuel Tank: 3 Quart
Shaft Size: 1"Dx3-5/32"L
Muffler: Included
Length: 12.5"
Height: 15.5"
Width: 14"
Shipping Weight: 100.5

Last edited:

mattm55

Threads
Model: Snapper RER 28085S 28" HiVac w/low profile bagger

Background: I had been given this mower around 2000 with a leaky 8HP Briggs. I replaced that engine with a 12HP Briggs that lasted up until this past season. That engine lost compression and "dropped" an intake valve. Being the end of the season I did the old "steak" the valve seat to finish out the leaf season. Worked but knew it was time to redo the engine.

Going back to my first post, this Snapper has had an 8HP Briggs and then was updated to a 12HP I/C Briggs. The latest fell victim to overheating and "dropping" an intake seat. Up to this point there has been minor updates to the build that I have tried to explain. Now, the engine change from Briggs to Honda should take a little bit of modding to get installed. Some of the areas of concern are

1. Fitment and shaft location and size - So far the GVX390 measures up to fit in the exact mounting holes with the same shaft size and dia. I created a mock template of the old Briggs to make sure the shaft location is similar. It was in the same location. If it wasn't, I would have had to redrill mounting holes to get the shaft placement correct. Otherwise the gears 1,2,3,4,5 & R would be off. One note is that the Honda has 2 threaded holes so I purchase (2) A: 5/16"x24X1.5" by B: 5/16"x18X9/16" studs and installed them with two nuts and loctite.
  2. Controls - TBD (Ordered 7075089YP)
  3. Electrical - TBD
  4. Fuel - TBD (To use the original Snapper tank or the Honda engine mounted tank.)
  5. Exhaust - TBD (Plan is to create a side exhaust as the Honda exhausts out back and I have a bagger)

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Going back to my first post, this Snapper has had an 8HP Briggs and then was updated to a 12HP I/C Briggs. The latest fell victim to overheating and "dropping" an intake seat. Up to this point there has been minor updates to the build that I have tried to explain. Now, the engine change from Briggs to Honda should take a little bit of modding to get installed. Some of the areas of concern are

1. Fitment and shaft location and size - So far the GVX390 measures up to fit in the exact mounting holes with the same shaft size and dia. I created a mock template of the old Briggs to make sure the shaft location is similar. It was in the same location. If it wasn't, I would have had to redrill mounting holes to get the shaft placement correct. Otherwise the gears 1,2,3,4,5 & R would be off. One note is that the Honda has 2 threaded holes so I purchase (2) A: 5/16"x24X1.5" by B: 5/16"x18X9/16" studs and installed them with two nuts and loctite.
  2. Controls - TBD (Ordered 7075089YP)
  3. Electrical - TBD
  4. Fuel - TBD (To use the original Snapper tank or the Honda engine mounted tank.)
  5. Exhaust - TBD (Plan is to create a side exhaust as the Honda exhausts out back and I have a bagger)

Ahhh decisions, decisions, decisions...... Ya know matt , sometimes it's a good thing to just set a chair a ways back from your project ... open a cold one and RELAX ... take a break ... and marvel at what you have accomplished thus far !!
Then you can visualize what if ...??? I do this ..THAT way ..YEAH go ahead ... YOU deserve it ... and there's always tomorrow . ..:biggrin: