Snapper RER 28085S Restore

mattm55

Threads
I made quite a bit of progress over the weekend...

1. Installed the deck back onto the main frame.
2. Installed a fresh belt and adjusted the tension to slip enough when cutter not engaged. I had to loosen the tube clamp and make the adjustments to the belt and then recheck that all my pedals had enough free play with the tube being moved back about 1/4". I didn't have to add an adjustments to the cable .
3. A new blade and lift kit was installed.
4. Adjusted the shift linkage so that neutral and park lined up in the correct location.

*On my engine drive disk I had made a nice tool on the recommendations on the internet and manual I downloaded. The 3 3/4" - 3 13/16" distance did not work for me. That was way too low so I had to improvise and set it by feel. I let the drive disk touch the disk and then moved the pedal throw to get a little more pressure. For me, the distance was set at ~3.5". I will try it and adjust as necessary/wear.

5. Mounted the bottle holder to the steering column.
6. Added gas and oil (38.2 oz of 10w30)
7. Connected charged battery

All done right? Well, as I tried to start the engine there was nothing. Hmm, ahh... the parking switch had to be on and I just had it in the neutral position. Nope, still nothing. Time to get out the meter and recheck my connections. When I pulled the box cover off I found the blue solenoid wire came off. Connected that and voila.... she runs! Success.

I took a few pictures in the garage after a test run...

completeGrarageFront1.jpg completeGarageRear1.jpg

...and a few passes cutting. Then out in the front for a few pics to close out this build.

completeOutside1.jpg completeOutside2.jpg

Everything went pretty smooth and the Briggs to Honda conversion was almost bolt on. Not too bad for a 32 year old mower.

If anyone has any questions, just let me know.
Now it will be on to cutting the grass.

Thanks for following my build.
Matt

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
CONGRATS !! Matt
A really nice machine , time to grab that seat again... get a cold drink and reminisce about all the obstacles you overcame and the results you derived from your labor !!

THANKS for sharing, and the photos were great too ! Don't forget to visit ........ Boobala ..:thumbsup:

mattm55

Threads
CONGRATS !! Matt
A really nice machine , time to grab that seat again... get a cold drink and reminisce about all the obstacles you overcame and the results you derived from your labor !!

THANKS for sharing, and the photos were great too ! Don't forget to visit ........ Boobala ..:thumbsup:

Thanks for watching and the comments. I did put out the table and chairs on the deck Sunday here as the weather was beautiful. That's about all the time for relaxing as I start on the next project. Finishing a Sno-Way (plow) install on my Tacoma. I had a rush install for the 2' snow in March and bypassed hooking up the lights. Now if I wait until fall I'll keep putting it off. My wife is looking at washing windows too....

There never seems to be a lack of projects to work on. ;o)

...and of course, I won't forget to visit.

Thanks, Matt

mattm55

Threads
Re: Snapper RER 28085S Restore - Electrical Wiring Update

I have added an updated electrical wiring diagram to show my 10 A fuse and the safety interlock location.

snapperHondaElectricWiring_ver1_01.jpg

Thanks, Matt