Low lift or Gators

cruzenmike

Threads
I have a 50" stamped deck on my rider. I currently have high lift blades which throw the clippings out pretty far. I am looking to mulch with my mower this year. Would gator blades and an open chute be better or a plug and low lift blades to achieve a better mulch and less clippings left behind? Thanks.

Mike

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either gator blades with a plug or mulching blades with plug.

cruzenmike

Threads
Either gator blades with a plug or mulching blades with plug.

MTD made a molded deck plug that has a contoured inside part. There is also someone who makes a welded metal one that is a bit more angular. Would I see any benefit to the molded plastic one since I have a stamped deck and it will try to creat less drag or pockets to get clippings caught in? And what do you think of Rotary mulching blades? Thanks.

Mike

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I personally would get factory made plug.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gator all the way. Really agressive blade that turns everything to crumbs. I have a chute blocker so I usually go around the yard at light speed in circles to mow it into a pile with chute blocker open. I then go thru the pile with the chute down to turn it into dust. I then do a nice final cut stripping the yard. Get's it looking good.

cruzenmike

Threads
Gator all the way. Really agressive blade that turns everything to crumbs. I have a chute blocker so I usually go around the yard at light speed in circles to mow it into a pile with chute blocker open. I then go thru the pile with the chute down to turn it into dust. I then do a nice final cut stripping the yard. Get's it looking good.

I would love to have a chute blocker, but I cannot really afford one at this moment. I have put hundreds more into this mower than I even thought I would at this point. I did go online today and order the OEM chute blocker and a set of Rotary mulching blades. I am going to wire brush the bottom side of the deck and coat it with automotive epoxy. I am hoping for a slippery smooth finish that helps keep the deck clean and free flowing. Maybe if it cures and hold together it will get a good wax job or some dry graphite spray before being put back together? Is it wrong that this excites me?

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's totally fine that this excites you! Working on mowers and making them better is just a wonderful feeling!

Those chute blockers are not cheap, but well worth it. I don't know how I could mow without one.

I am not sure about coating the deck with epoxy. It will probably get removed after a while with all the dust the blades pick up. Just use graphite spray.

cruzenmike

Threads
It's totally fine that this excites you! Working on mowers and making them better is just a wonderful feeling!

Those chute blockers are not cheap, but well worth it. I don't know how I could mow without one.

I am not sure about coating the deck with epoxy. It will probably get removed after a while with all the dust the blades pick up. Just use graphite spray.

That was the plan until I found the epoxy spray for only $10 a can. This is the information from Rust-Oleum "Epoxy Paint is a one step epoxy coating that does not require a primer. It give the appearance of a tough, baked on porcelain like finish that provides excellent corrosion resistance. Ideal for metal, aluminum, fiberglass & plastic." Since I had already planned on wire Wheeling the bottom side of the deck to get off the years of caked on clippings (from previous owner) I figured $10 and a little time is a small investment. If this works as it should, the bottom of the deck will be as smooth as glass (well, porcelain)!

GMoore

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gator blades are awesome. Mulch plug makes the whole system work. The most important part is cutting the grass frequently, trying to mulch up too much in one cut will leave you with a lot of clumpage.

GoPappy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gator blades and a plug do not turn your mower deck into a mulching deck. They turn it into a side discharge deck with the discharge plugged shut. I suspect you will be disappointed with that setup.

A true mulching deck (or a side discharge deck with a mulch kit) creates separate chambers, each of which holds the clippings in and allows them to be chopped up before falling down into the turf.

Just plugging the discharge without using a true mulch kit allows the deck to throw all the clippings over to the discharge side where they will accumulate and leave a trail of clippings behind the right hand side of the deck.