deck adjustment

csmlet

Threads
Searched the forum and couldn't find the answer so here goes. My new cub cadet, RZT l42 is cutting even and checking the blade tips are the same. But, I set the height adjustment in the middle (4) and when I check the blade tip is is only 2 1/2". Shouldn't these two be the same?

Jack17

Threads
Well, it says: "8-cutting positions let you select cutting heights ranging from 1-1/2 in. to 4 in." So no...numbers don't match. If you are set at #4 (half way down) then yes...2 1/2" is about right.

csmlet

Threads
Guess I am just use to my John Deere tractor, when I set the lever to position 3 then the blade tips were at 3".

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Even on the Deere if you set it at 4 it would have been 3 1/2"

csmlet

Threads
Even on the Deere if you set it at 4 it would have been 3 1/2"

Not sure about that, will have to check it when I get to my son's house. I had to level the deck on the deere very often and always set the lever on position 3 and the blade tips were 3 inches. So you are saying the deck height lever numbers are not the inches it cuts?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the numbers on the height adjusters are not inches and the difference between the numbers is not the same either.
They are all approximate.
The height adjustment lever swings in an arch but the deck moves up & down and some of them also move in an arch as well so the numbers are just approximate.
Some of the old decks did move parallel to the ground but it is very hard to do, thus expensive to make & even more expensive to maintain. so they have not been done like that fir a very long while.
Some of you will remember the old decks with 10 support rods & compensating arms then even more complicated belt runs.