Carburator rebuild

Jarveyd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone,
I'm not sure how this works so I'll just send my problem out and see what happens.
I have a Toro walk behind self propelled mower with a Briggs and Stratton 6.75 engine. It is about 9 years old. It was running very slow and hard to start. It does not have an adjustable throttle. So took the carburator off and cleaned it , replaced gaskets including the float pin and small rubber ring that the float pin fits into. Still won't start. Also removed cowling and cleaned up the ignition coil and the magnets on the fly wheel? I spray starter fluid into the carb and it will start and run until the starter fluid is gone. I've checked the gas flow and it seems to be fine, as I replaced the gas line as well. Checked compression by holding finger over the sparkplug opening and there seems to plenty of compression.

Any Ideas

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread over to our Toro section.

Rschnitzel

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the mower runs on starter fluid then it is not a spark or compression issue.

Make sure your petcock allows fuel to flow, if it does then your issue is with the carb.

When you cleaned the carb did you chem dip the bowl and take out all the jets to make sure everything was clean. It does not take much to clog a carbeurator.

What make and model is your carb?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Replace your carburetor needle valve, sticking shut.

Jarveyd

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the mower runs on starter fluid then it is not a spark or compression issue.

Make sure your petcock allows fuel to flow, if it does then your issue is with the carb.

When you cleaned the carb did you chem dip the bowl and take out all the jets to make sure everything was clean. It does not take much to clog a carbeurator.

What make and model is your carb?

I replaced the float valve and the little O ring that float valve fits into. I did take all the jets and cleaned everything. I used carburator cleaner on all the parts including the bowl. Also soaked carb overnight in Coca Cola which ate away all the gunk. I did that after watching a YouTube video that suggested that step. When I take the fuel line loose from carb, fuel is flowing.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
would be best to soak the whole carb after you tear it down in a solvent, more than likeley there is a small blockage in the body of the carb, prevented air/fuel flow

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not saying its not a blockage? It sounds more then just a little blockage if it doesn't run at all. Just how dirty was the carburetor? How about your float adjustment? Is your choke closing all the way? Dose your carburetor have a electric solenoid shut off on it?. I test the needle valve for sticking by turning the carburetor upside down and see if I can blow through the fuel intake fitting. Just a few suggestions I can think of if I was looking for the problem.