A Man's Quest For The perfect Gas Can

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't seem to find a nice gas can with a nice vent. Around here they started offering them again with vents, but only the 20 liter ones. So, I got a bunch of snap on vents to fix this for my ventless gas cans.

I do have a question for all you people that are creative. The gasket that goes on the spout starts going bad real fast. It lasts a season or two. I am tired of buying a new spout that costs about the same as a gas can just for a gasket. Is there any way to make a new gasket for these spouts? I thought about using automotive gasket maker? Any other ideas?

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I use gasket material. Cut it out to fit problem solved. Ventless cans suck. I drill a small hole in the handle opposite the spout. I got to where I leave it open. I use to use a drywall screw in it when in storage on the trailer. Now I just leave it out.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
The thing is that the gasket has a rib (not sure of the term). It's a kinda ring. Not sure I can cut out something like that? Could I simply use gasket maker and put some around area?

About the vent, I ordered a bunch on eBay. I was tired of holding a 20 liter for an eternity while it's barely pouring.

Jack17

Threads
I was tired of holding a 20 liter for an eternity while it's barely pouring.

For the rest of us - non-metric people - I was always wondering...you know, is like...when you watch the news and they report: "Mexican drug cartel smuggling 200 kilos of cocaine to Chicago"...I'm like what the hell are they talking about? What's a kilo of coke? And a next thing they call it a brick! So I'm like...OK, you've lost me there. Anyway, I figure 20L is like 5Gal and if your can has a round spout, I've been using an 'O' ring of proper size for as long as I can remember and it worked wonders.

Jack17

Threads
Hey... the thing you said about the ridge...I always use the "fat" o-rings...they come in two different sizes...skinny and fat. The fat ones are conforming to the curvature of the spout and threads much better.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
All right, I'll try a fatty o-ring. Thanks!

Jack17

Threads
All right, I'll try a fatty o-ring. Thanks!
Okay!!! You won!!! You made me go out to my shed and measure the darn thing. Mind you that is 16F in Chicago right now...that's like -9C for all you metric people.
I only have two kinds of O-ring. One is 1/8" and the one I use on gas cans is 3/16"...happy now?:laughing:
Now you do the conversion on that and I'll be LOL!

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lawnboy from Canada here. For you imperials it's 22 F right now with a bone cold wind. ;)

Thanks for letting me know the o-ring size! Do you have the same spouts as me (Scepter)? Should of asked this before you went out to your shed :laughing: