Looking to buy a quality mower!

Rickcin

Threads
We live in Virginia and have a house on a full half acre. Are there any really good mowers wider than the typical 21 inch mowers?
I would love to own a commercial 36 inch mower but find it different to spend $3K for a Toro, Gravley or Xmark.

Also think spending $2600 or so on a Zero turn might get me a low end machine that might have lots of mechanical problems.

Any suggestions? Thanks

mattaggie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna 46" zero turn, z246. That would be more than sufficient for half acre. If you wanted to go walk behind route, look at cub cadet 33" walk behind. Tractor supply sells them.

cruzenmike

Threads
If you are still wanting to push mow, you can look at the Toro Time Master 30" mower as well. If you want to save some time, you can go with any 42" rider or ztr. A rider will be in the 1500-2000 range and a ztr in the 2200-2700 range.

Rickcin

Threads
If you are still wanting to push mow, you can look at the Toro Time Master 30" mower as well. If you want to save some time, you can go with any 42" rider or ztr. A rider will be in the 1500-2000 range and a ztr in the 2200-2700 range.

The Toro and Cub Cadet 30 inch mowers appear to have bad reviews. The belt is always falling off the CC and many owners complain the Toro is underpowered.

Regarding the Zero turns, I am wondering how relevant able they are in the less than $3K price range? I see not so good reviews but the Husky appears to have less issues. Thanks

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Toro and Cub Cadet 30 inch mowers appear to have bad reviews. The belt is always falling off the CC and many owners complain the Toro is underpowered.

Regarding the Zero turns, I am wondering how relevant able they are in the less than $3K price range? I see not so good reviews but the Husky appears to have less issues. Thanks

Bigger engine now being fitted on the Toro so we will see how it goes this year.

cruzenmike

Threads
Bigger engine now being fitted on the Toro so we will see how it goes this year.

I was going to say this as well. The new model 21199 has an engine with 10 ft/lbs tq which should help with it being "under-powered" as many had stated with the old model. As for the riders in the $3k range, you can get a top of the line box store model of a traditional rider, or a bottom of the line dealer model. For example, when John Deere had their sale last fall, I could get a X320 for a hundred less than a D170. Obviously the D170 has bigger tires/wheels, more powerful engine and a larger deck, but the X320 had a more robust frame and drivetrain.

GMoore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have used a cub cadet 33", it cuts very nice but it lacks power steering you get with a commercial unit. If you have a lot of turns you will be muscling it around a bit.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

If your looking to buy commercial then you don't want the Toro TimeMaster mower. If you want the commercial get ther Toro Turf Master mower or the Exmark 30" there basically the same mower, both made by Toro. I've run the TurfMaster for almost 4 years in the business and it's been a great mower and for $1700 you can't beat the machine. They come with the Kawasaki FJ 180V KAI 179cc commercial engine. I think or as I remember it's a 7hp engine and it's a forever motor if you give it the maintenance it deserves. I mite add I've never had a belt issue, change them one time since I've owned the mower.

https://www.toro.com/turfmaster/

play the video.

Rickcin

Threads
You might want to look at a Sarlo BigMo. https://www.sarlomower.com/collections/hydro-drive/products/big-mo. They also have a 34" model coming out for a few hundred more $$.

I've read too many horror stories about the Toro TimeMaster's weak engine, clogging deck and transmission troubles to ever consider buying one.

Very interesting, I never knew this mower company existed but I would be inclined to only buy a mower that could be locally serviced and one that I could confirm reviews before considering a purchase. Thanks for the info!!