Kawasaki FH451V on a 36" Giant Mow Commercial Deck mower

dnelli

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kawasaki FH451V on a 36" Giant Mow Commercial Deck mower
hi everyone,

I came here for some information regarding my dad's Kawai FH451V on a 36" Giant Mow commercial mower with electric clutch and electric start. The chassis underneath the engine had mungy, gritty, oily dirt and grime all underneath where it was super wet. I figured that I'd need to remove engine from deck, but the crank-end, socket head cap screw was just almost above the cross bar, so it made removing a PITA. I had to prop the engine front up to get a direct line-of-sight access with my allen socket. Then the electric clutch just slide off the crank but bottomed out on that darn crossbar. I had to loosen the four chassis side bolts and separate it a bit more to give myself the room such that the electric clutch was able to slide completely off the crankshaft end and not bottom out on cross bar. The small pulley just above it didn't have a set screw, which was weird but I had to pulled it off.

I removed the upper engine shroud cover and discovered that the ignition coil wires had their cores exposed. Looks like mice were nesting in there. Now thinking back on it, I do remember getting zapped while using this mower (it's my dads mower). The electric start worked after we replaced the voltage regulator, years ago but then seemed to not last long. We've went thru a lot of batteries on this machine. I am wondering if the electric short from the wires to ground took out the VR? It voltage regulator, is a bridge rectifier (i believe) whereby if current is run thru the diodes backwards it would kill it, correct? Anyway, I found some used coils for 31 bucks that look way better than mine and got an aftermarket VR for $18 shipped. I also got gaskets, breather kit and lower crank seal.

This website was helpful in explaining how to remove an electric clutch/pto as I've never messed with one before, but know they cost about 250 bucks. Thanks!

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
  • / Kawasaki FH451V on a 36" Giant Mow Commercial Deck mower
:welcome:

I'm going to move this thread over to the Kawasaki engine section to see if we can get you some answers. :smile: