Battery Powered Chain-Saws

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry ..... I just ran across this and I can't believe my eyes !!
I AM OLD SCHOOL !! I just cant see battery powered lawn maintenance equipment except ..maybe a
"weed-whip" (for VERY small yards) I cringe at the sight of electric cord powered mowers !! NO I'll never get into the battery route.. I have some of the best battery drills ( RIGID ) and sometimes I still have to dig out my trusty ol electrics .... admittedly they are great for quick small jobs and construction sites where extension cords are problematic... I was in the trades for many years, and they were the preferred tool but the cost of several batteries and chargers (initially) were a drain on the wallet.. I GAVE away ALL my DeWalt battery powered tools long ago because of Pee-Poor batteries that cost me my first, second & third born children (lol) Actually I have 1 son !!
Besides .... I love the roar of a small gas engine and the smell of burned 2-cycle fuel in the mornin !!! :laughing:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tool...est_news_reviews_for_pros&utm_term=2017-03-06

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Started with trimmer and blower using a power cord. Got old fast and got all gas when I add enough cash. Will never look back. Battery is good I guess with all the progress that has been done. Snapper is coming out with an 80 volt line of equipment. That's a lot! But, I'll stay with gas for now. Don't feel like charging batts every day and installing solar panels on the trailer.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Funny . I just had this same exact argument on another site. I can't believe people are buying Micky mouse battery operated lawn equipment and calling them selves professionals. You will never find battery operated lawn equipment on my trailers. If it comes to that point I'll just set at the house. I'm all for more HP or CCs though ;)

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Battery power has its place and is here to stay.
Couple of examples-
If you are cutting local schools and there is exams on then the school can say no cutting grass as too noisy but if its battery then a lot quieter so work can carry on.
Certain conservation areas that are protected may not allow petrol powered due to emissions etc so battery is the way to go.
The new li-on batteries being made are better than the old lead acid and gel types.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Battery power has its place and is here to stay.
Couple of examples-
If you are cutting local schools and there is exams on then the school can say no cutting grass as too noisy but if its battery then a lot quieter so work can carry on.
Certain conservation areas that are protected may not allow petrol powered due to emissions etc so battery is the way to go.
The new li-on batteries being made are better than the old lead acid and gel types.

They're great for cell-phones ( except the Galaxy 7 ) and lap-tops , tablets and small electronics..
and God forbid we displease our dear sweet liittle woosie kids ... please, lets not upset them in
their "safe-spaces" ... they may protest ... or go home because they cant handle the thought of "noise"
in their sheltered environment, but then again ... there are no more MEN ..
everyTHING , is gender neutral now. ENJOY the Millenial revolution .... Boobala..:ban:..:mur:

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
They're great for cell-phones ( except the Galaxy 7 ) and lap-tops , tablets and small electronics..
and God forbid we displease our dear sweet liittle woosie kids ... please, lets not upset them in
their "safe-spaces" ... they may protest ... or go home because they cant handle the thought of "noise"
in their sheltered environment, but then again ... there are no more MEN ..
everyTHING , is gender neutral now. ENJOY the Millenial revolution .... Boobala..:ban:..:mur:

I thought Laptop etc were not Li-On but NIMh instead??
Li-On seems to more reliable and getting better all the time.

Who says its the kids that don't want the noise and its the "adults" themselves ie Headmaster, teacher.:rolleyes:
Remember the kids are our future that Old people (adults again) have messed up. :wink:
Also remember the kids of today are picking our/your retirement home when they have grown up (oh no adults again). :laughing:

As for the battery impact the only problem I see is it take good servicing away from dealers etc

Jack17

Threads
For me the biggest turn-off in regards to batteries is how do you go about recycling them? Some say that it takes 6 to 10 times more energy to reclaim metals from recycled batteries than from mining. Only lead acid battery is easy to extract what's in it and you can actually make money doing it.

snorky1

Threads
its all a chinese business,, lithium ion batteries are mostly made in china, when recycled they are shipped back to china,something like 90% of the lithium ion and other rare earth metals associated with them are mined in china. since most manufacturers are now in china now this is just another way for china to eliminate the competition and make other countries dependant on their products. their probably great if you own a 500sf area to take care of but the simple fact that the amount of fuel it takes to make these batteries and ship them and the destruction of land to mine the minerals is huge compared to a small engine. i own a small plug in weedeater and it works great for me the two times a year i pull it out and i would also like to get a plug in bush trimmer this year because my needs are small and do not justify a gas powered tool and a battery powered unit would likely suffer bad batteries before i used them 20 times. :laughing:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought Laptop etc were not Li-On but NIMh instead??
Li-On seems to more reliable and getting better all the time.

Who says its the kids that don't want the noise and its the "adults" themselves ie Headmaster, teacher.:rolleyes:
Remember the kids are our future that Old people (adults again) have messed up. :wink:
Also remember the kids of today are picking our/your retirement home when they have grown up (oh no adults again). :laughing:

As for the battery impact the only problem I see is it take good servicing away from dealers etc

The market is switching from Nimh to Li-On. LiPo also. Nimh discharge gradually as opposed to Lion batteries that stay strong after a charge and then drop fast towards the end before a charge. LiPo are good also, but can be quite impressive to see if not well handled. Heck my drill has a Li-On batt.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
if you were realy 'old school', you'd be using a scythe.