Thoughts on Gravely ZT HD???

jmk654

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, first time posting. Looking at getting into mowing as a side business this year. I am hoping to get 8-10 yards a week. Been researching and looking at a few dealership over the last couple of months. I have locked in on the Gravely ZT HD, seems to have the features, price and decent warranty. A couple of questions before I bite the bullet.
-What are your thoughts on this mower? Good or bad?
-What are your thoughts on the Kohler 7000 vs Kawasaki FR691V?
-Also my local dealer only has a 52" and 60", my buddy swears that a 48" is a must when doing residential. Can you please weigh in if the difference between 48" and 52" would be enough to lose business because of the extra width?

Thank you in advance for the help.

tbzep

Threads
Hey all, first time posting. Looking at getting into mowing as a side business this year. I am hoping to get 8-10 yards a week. Been researching and looking at a few dealership over the last couple of months. I have locked in on the Gravely ZT HD, seems to have the features, price and decent warranty. A couple of questions before I bite the bullet.
-Also my local dealer only has a 52" and 60", my buddy swears that a 48" is a must when doing residential. Can you please weigh in if the difference between 48" and 52" would be enough to lose business because of the extra width?

I have the ZT HD 52" with Kawasaki motor. It was my understanding that this is a prosumer quality model, good for a homeowner like me with a larger rougher yard, but for daily use on yards that aren't always in the best of shape, the Pro Turn is the better model choice. It will have better hydros, air ride seat, and according to model will have a more robust engine choice.

Zz101

Forum Newbie
Threads
Solid machines throughout the Gravely lineup. Over time seems you are going to add to your 10 lawns. I agree the Pro Turn will be a great choice. My son's lawn business 15+ yrs does 200+'lawns per week. For past 10 yrs he & his crew have used Gravely's. For past 5 yrs My Gravely ZT HD 48" has been reliable and ez to maintain.

Handy7rick

Forum Newbie
Threads

I have a Gravely ZT HD60” zero turn with the FR730v Kawasaki engine. It has 1300 hours cutting on it . I’ve only replaced the starter solenoid and adjusted the valves once . Runs great,doesn’t use or leak any oil. I have serviced the pump drive fluid (recommended 20w50 “SL” oil Or Mobile 15w50 synthetic) transmission drive oil. The manual recommends changing the engine oil every 100 hours,however I recommend changing at that time Or earlier if the oil begins to darken in color. The oil usually stays clean for a full grass cutting season for me approximately 80 hours. I use Sae 40 Or 20w50 conventional oil. Usually every 70-80 hours. Have had for 11 years and zero issues other than those mentioned previously.Hope this helps in choosing. I prefer Kawasaki engine over Koehler or Any others. I’ve been a mechanic over 40 years ( not a know it all but I am experienced . Good luck! (Also I did replace the transmission pump drive belt as it was showing a wear crack.)

Handy7rick

Forum Newbie
Threads
By the way, “Ariens”/Gravely makes both mowers.

Handy7rick

Forum Newbie
Threads
If needing a smaller size I’d go with the 52” and keep on hand a good push mower for tight areas.

Handy7rick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry I forgot to mention I have also replaced both front tires. Bought different types online for about $15 each and anti scalp wheels also for $6.50 each online .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
A Pro Turn ZX would be a better choice. They come with Kawasaki FX commercial engines. Even better would be the Pro Turn 100 series. Add a suspension seat. Stay away from any leftover or used mowers with a Yamaha engine.